Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Valentini Puffer: How Reef safe?

Jahkaya

I know that Puffers in General are not reef safe, however I know some one that has kept this fish in his 55 reef with no real issues. Does anyone have any expericence with these guys? Will they just tear up my clean up crew and kill my cleaner shrimp? Or will they be okay so long as they are well fed. I haven't made the purchase, but the temptation was there. Should I just steer clear altogether or is it worth a try?

Yes, I have already done a google serach and read the desciption on Liveaquaria.com. Does any one have expericence with them eating snails, corals or Shrimp?

I had a small box and a valentini in the 180 (my dad will never learn). both fish were stellar citizens of the community and didn't do any real visible damage to the tank. Both vanished in the great mantis uprising of '02

Might it be worth a Try in a 20? I have heard that they are not too bad and that they may only pick at a snail from time to time. I just don't want it to have my cleaner shrimp eaten and any other fish tore up. I can live with a few snails from time to time. I am concerned because I have not seen them live in close quarter with other yet. In a 180 of 55 they would be able to stake out their teritory and play nice. Well we will have to see if it does well feeding ant the LFS first.

Do you think it would mess with Clams?

Archived