Coral Vue Hydros

wastewater uses during winter?

Jandree22

Hey guys, my RO/DI is ariving today, and I'm trying to explain about the whole wastewater thing to my dad. I convinced him that in the summer we can fill the pool and water the flowers, but he asked the same question I can't figure out... What the hell do you do with it in the winter?! I think I heard it's safe to drink, but still, that's a helluva lot of water for drinking every two weeks... like 60+ gallons. Are there ANY uses other than drinking the water and throwing the rest out in the winter? Thanks

you can get a shutoff valve that shuts of when ever your holding tank gets full if you have the system with the tank, not sure about the systems w/o the tank

Do you mean the water that is a waste product of the R/O system? If so mine is just plumbed into the drain and it goes by-by.

My RO unit is in our laundry room, and I run it into a 5 gal bucket in the slop sink: waste water goes right into the washing machine to start the next load.

Waters plant fine, too.

Originally posted by kennerd

My RO unit is in our laundry room

dumb question, but how do washing machines work. I mean, do they dispense a set amount of water no matter what or do they stop at a set level? I don't wanna add 30gal of water to my washing machine to have it overflow...if ya get what I'm sayin;)

60 gallons of waste water would equate to about 15 gallons of purified water, if your RO is running at peak efficiency. (4:1)

I actually have a double slop sink, so I run the waste water into a 5 gal bucket and pour one or two into the top of the machine and just start the load. Taking into account that my 75 GPD will produce about 3 gal of purified water per hour, and 12 gph of waste, it works out in between loads. I make 5-15 gal of purified water for the week depending if I am only topping tanks off or doing water changes.

Our machine must measure water level, so I haven't had a problem yet, and most of these things are all done Sunday morning, so the plants get watered with the in-between bucket while the wash is running. Don;t be fooled, I am constantly running in there and shutting it off due to letting it run too long anyway.

I was just giving a general idea of the timing. I throw one or two buckets in, then set the machine, and it ends up topping off to where it needs to be, then runs.

not only is that a waste of $20 but it's also irresponsible. you should really put it on your garden or in the washing machine.

water should not be wasted.

-skeletor-

Skeletor:

I just checked one of my water bills and we used 29,172 gallons of water in 91 days @ n average cost of $.0042259701/gallon which would equate to the following: $20 worth of water would be the equivalent of 4,732 gallons of water.

60 gallons of water would cost roughly twenty five cents.

Agreed with kennard.

Also, you can get automatic shutoffs that will hook up to a continous free flowing RODI. a GOOD unit will come with that installed already.

remember.. You get what you pay for ;)

I also use the waste water for topping off my freshwater tanks, and it only is wasing water when I am making it.

As to peek; 3:1 is ideal at 70 PSI. you can get pressure booster pumps (while a tad pricey) they do 3 things.

1) reduce water useage

2) extend the life of TFC/TFA membraines

3) Make useable water a helluva lot faster

a Shut off "Stopcock" valve that hoods up IN LINE is a MUST for all who have RODI units.

just my .10 cents, the first .02 is free.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Agreed with kennard.

Also, you can get automatic shutoffs that will hook up to a continous free flowing RODI. a GOOD unit will come with that installed already.

remember.. You get what you pay for ;)

I also use the waste water for topping off my freshwater tanks, and it only is wasing water when I am making it.  

As to peek; 3:1 is ideal at 70 PSI. you can get pressure booster pumps (while a tad pricey) they do 3 things.

1) reduce water useage

2) extend the life of TFC/TFA membraines

3) Make useable water a helluva lot faster

a Shut off "Stopcock" valve that hoods up IN LINE is a MUST for all who have RODI units.

just my .10 cents, the first .02 is free.

yah, my system has an ASOV... pretty much loaded with everything. My water pressure reads out at 62psi, so I'm thinkin that's pretty good... I also figured that like 60gal. of wastewater every two weeks is roughly the same as one extra shower every two weeks...so no biggie:happy:

BTW, I'll get your remaining $0.08 to ya ASAP, you take Paypal?:P

Archived