Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best 12G AP skimmer?

Goonter

so i have noticed a lot of junk floating on the top of the water in my 12G, it's a bunch of brown stuff, if u dip your hand or anything in to the tank, u end up having this brown stuff all over whatever you stuck in there. I am going to be testing all the params, but i am curious as i think a protein skimmer would fix this (i am not sure however) what would be a good one to buy that could fit in the back chamber of the AP 12g?

I have the same issue and my params seem to be fine. I redirected some flow to the top to create some turulance but that didn't do much. Another reefer suggested laying a paper towel across the top of the water. I do that weekly now and seems to be helping.

I don't know of any skimmers that fit in one of the chambers in the back.

fish n' pets

I had that problem with my nanocube. I got a surface skimmer and that fixed the problem. I'm not sure if they make one for an Aquapod, though.

I had that problem with my nanocube. I got a surface skimmer and that fixed the problem. I'm not sure if they make one for an Aquapod, though.

The APs have a surface skimmer built-in. But for it to work well, you have to block off all the intake grates that are below the water. Hope that helps.

The APs have a surface skimmer built-in. But for it to work well, you have to block off all the intake grates that are below the water. Hope that helps.

+1 on covering the other intake grates. I have an AP12, and I blocked the lower and middle intakes with a couple of pieces of black plastic. I have no surface scum at all, it is crystal clear. I also find it helps to lower the water level in the rear chamber so that is just slightly below the level of the display. I cut the plastic from an index card box from the walmart office supplies section, costs about two bucks and matches the plastic on the back wall perfectly. I can post some pictures if you are interested.

I would love to see pics , i have a ap12 as well and have a bit of surface scum also do you cover them from the front or back of the tank? and did you do it while it was running? Thanks for your help

On another note i tried upgrading the pump to maxijet 900 powerhead and adding a hydor , I thought this would help with with heat issues, which it did in combination to my fan upgrades but its blowing my sand everywhere, may I ask what pump everyone is currently using on there aquapod 12?

I would love to see pics , i have a ap12 as well and have a bit of surface scum also do you cover them from the front or back of the tank? and did you do it while it was running? Thanks for your help

On another note i tried upgrading the pump to maxijet 900 powerhead and adding a hydor , I thought this would help with with heat issues, which it did in combination to my fan upgrades but its blowing my sand everywhere, may I ask what pump everyone is currently using on there aquapod 12?

i use a maxijet 900 in the rear chamber, i used the stock hose that came with the old crappy pump to connect it to the outlet hole. I tried the hydor as well and i got annoyed because the same thing happened, so i just use the maxijet 900 and the original two way blower connector they gave you stock for the pump, i just have aimed it according to how i placed my corals... it is starting to lead to some problems, like one part of the sand doesn't have any agitation so it is starting to grow junk, but i just suck it out or stir it up everytime i see it. i guess i could get some pics for you. and i am curious as well, how did you get the plastic to stick to the wall?

The Hydor flow will blow the sand around on about ANY tank you put them on when facing the front glass straight on I've found in my experience. Happened on my AP12, happened when I had a Hydor on my 30g Finnex, and it also happened on my newest tank, my custom 10g AIO when I had a Hydor on it which I've since taken off.

My AP 24 I have a MJ900 for the return, a MJ900 for my chiller, a koralia 1 and a Koralia nano in the display. I have both return outlets positioned for surface agitation and the Koralias for water movement. I don't have any surface scum with this setup.

Happy Reefing

Ill get some pics tomorrow when I am done with work. I only attached the bottom cover (with silicone when the tank was empty), the water pressure holds the middle cover in place. I also have an MJ 900 replacing the stock pump for more flow. With that I still use the T-fitting on the outlet nozzle, one side has the stock flat nozzle and the other has a hydor flow. I dont have any problems with sand blowing around and get some decent surface agitation. Another mod that I made was a tray in the rear chamber to hold filter floss.

+1 on covering the other intake grates. I have an AP12, and I blocked the lower and middle intakes with a couple of pieces of black plastic. I have no surface scum at all, it is crystal clear. I also find it helps to lower the water level in the rear chamber so that is just slightly below the level of the display. I cut the plastic from an index card box from the walmart office supplies section, costs about two bucks and matches the plastic on the back wall perfectly. I can post some pictures if you are interested.

I want to try this. What type of adhesive would you use with a full tank?

Archived