Cultivated Reef

.75 gallon nano

Katara

the mandarin is only in to fatten him up and training him to eat frozen instead of live brine(hopefully).He's very,very tiny..emaciated from the fish store.Eating like a pig now, though:)

Are you insane? There is no way you can keep that fish alive in there. It may fatten up a bit because it is starving, but do you know the husbandry of this fish? It will pine away for sure. How dare you try to keep a Dragonet in this set up! They need a well established, large tank with alot of LR. They are constant grazers and in benthic microcarnivores. Carpet anenome??????!!!! I have a 20 long for a pair of percs, I wanted a carpet but wouldn't have dared! They get huge dude (sorry, edit dudette) ! This is the most blatent display of bad husbandry in the nano tank forums I have ever seen. That fish needs to be moved quickly! And by the way your cute little anenome does too. This is a perfect example of "Just because a fish is small" Yeah it's small, but it has needs. Why not throw a pygmy angel in there too, it's small. Please, please, think about your inhabs first. Please come to www.nanoreef.com BEFORE you purchase!

Ziz, it may be an expression but you were talking to a dudette.

Katara - I must admit your choices almost seem like you were looking for the flaming post. I'm waiting for the camera to pan back and see the larger tank and this one was just to feed the Sun polyps.

Hmm...yeah...doesn't matter...if its a dude or dudette and i dont want to be rude, but keeping a mandarin in a 0.75 gallon nano isn't a very smart idea.

I know it looks like you are trying to help gain back its health, but eventually it will slowly die in there, if not faster than it was at the local fish store.

The smaller the tank, the harder (im speaking in terms of keeping things in check...before a tank crashes) it is and more precise you have to be in maintaining a healthy tank balance. If you have a large sump, you maybe able to give it the necessary oxygen, but I think keeping him there is a bad idea.

- Elmo :o

Whoa ziz I dont think that is a carpet anemone IMO... but more like a badly discolored wellsophyllia coral. I love how people on this website are quick to snap. Ive seen a stichodactyla haddoni in a friends tank before and it looks nothing like the thing in katara's tank. So telling Katara to move his/her "cute little" anemone before getting a proper ID is rather foul if you ask me.

As far as the fish goes.. I really dont agree with keeping any fish in a .75g tank. However, if I am reading katara's post correctly it was stated that the mandarin is "only in to fatten him up and train him to eat frozen..." which leads me to assume that this is not katara's only tank. More like a quarantine tank. The fact that katara has already gotten the mandarin to eat live brine is a feat in itself, let alone training it to eat frozen.

Possibly Neptune. I'm not trying to be a D* here. I'm just trying to say a Dragonet is a small fish that needs alot of gal. and LR. Could be a coral, fair enough. .75 should have a hermit crab and about nothing else.

Ah the rest of the story....another example of I should just waited for someone else to take the bait.

Katara, good that you're getting the little one to eat, did you ever find the shrimp in the 55.

I'm sorry to the rest of you.Perhaps I should have explained the situation better.I do plan on moving it to my 55 where there are no longer any pistol/mantis predators.Believe me, I know that this nano is ridiculously small and fortunatley, I work from home and able to do daily maintenance on it.

I put the mandarin in the nano to better keep an eye on it and directly feed it so that it may grow and become stronger.This is not my 1st mandarin and my only other one was lost due to a unknown predator well after one year of raising it.I have over 85lbs of lr in a 55 gallon reef tank that has been established for over 1 year and 9 monthsThe mandarin is currently less than half the size of my pinky and just a little thicker than a pencil..

Thanks for your input and Bertz and Neptune thanks for not jumping the gun;)

Oh..and it is NOT a carpet but a flourescent-green brain that belongs to a crappy picture-taker.It will also be upgraded to the larger tank when the need arises.

Katara

Archived