Pod Your Reef

What do u guys think of this for a 10g?

MidiMouse

Hi Everyone,

I read some of the articles on the website and some posts as well and I was interested in starting a 10g salt tank for my little sister. I was going to use my freshwater cichlid 10g bow-front with wet/dry setup to convert. I was thinking of using foam for mechanical filtration, carbon, and maybe bio-balls as well? I wanted to keep 1 maybe 2 percula clowns and a cleaner shrimp. I was thinking of reusing my old crushed coral substrate and getting some live rock. I only have a 6400K white 13w compact flourescent, but I don't plan on keeping live coral or anenomies until I can get more light. Also, would you recommend just getting salt water from the lfs or making my own?

How does this sound? Did I miss out on anything? Thanks in advance!

-Lam

I'm fairly new to SW myself. I would recommened getting the per mixxed ro/di water from your lfs to start your tank with. It's a little more exspensive in the long run but it will be worth it. The lighting sounds fine for a fish and LR tank but do get more light befor you add coral. The filtration sounds good but make sure you have plenty of LR, and I would mix the crushed coral with some fine grain sand just to add a little extra for biological filtraion. It will also cut down on the depth your sand bed will have to be to do what needs to be done. Good luck with the tank. Just be patient and good things will happen.

you had a 10gal Cichlid tank???

well, I was advised across the board when I set up my tank to ditch the coral and just go with live sand. A 2inch bed is what is advised...

I would also go with the LFS sea water instead of the mix...it comes out cheaper that way for me. Your in SoCal like I am so I assume we have relatively the same prices around.

So toss the coral, get live sand and you'd be getting Catalina water from the LFS out here

good luck man:)

okay, I think I'll go with the premixed water. Yeah I live in So. Cal in Irvine. =) Also, using live rock and live sand, does that mean I don't have to cycle the tank? I was going to anyways to be safe, but I'm just making sure. What would be the best way to do this? Thanks alot!

-Lam

Archived