Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

When to add b-ionic?

Tbone675

Reef Chicks

I was advised to add it when lights are off, but I dont know if its when lights GO off or BEFORE they come on.

The Propagator

If we are talking about the ALKALINITY PART of the B-ionic TWO PART system then dose it AFTER the lights go out for the night ( bout an hour after wards) ;) Not before they come on or when they are on. It substantially raises the PH before it stabilizes. If you dose it when the lights are on you'll be in the red zone all day. If you do it just before the lights come on you'll be in the red zone half the day. It will crepe up higher and higher as the day progresses until it levels off and stabilizes.

Better to dose it after lights out and have near normal PH as apposed to the typical 7.8-7.6 low point then when the lights are off then to have a PH spike close to 9 when the lights ARE on after dosing.

If we are talking about the ALKALINITY PART of the B-ionic TWO PART system then dose it AFTER the lights go out for the night ( bout an hour after wards) ;) Not before they come on or when they are on. It substantially raises the PH before it stabilizes. If you dose it when the lights are on you'll be in the red zone all day. If you do it just before the lights come on you'll be in the red zone half the day. It will crepe up higher and higher as the day progresses until it levels off and stabilizes.

Better to dose it after lights out and have near normal PH as apposed to the typical 7.6-7.6 low point then when the lights are on then to have a PH spike close to 9 when the lights ARE on after dosing.

I have my tank set up to dose b-inoic automatically. I cut the Alk dosage in half and do it twice a day. Once at 11:30pm and then again at 5:30am (I think). I dose Ca once a day at 3:00pm. I've been doing this at the advice of Prop for about 3 weeks now and my tank is more stable and better looking than ever.

SeeDemTails

My tank is now consuming two 20ml doses a day of b-ionic.

I do one dose in the morning, and one at night. I also use a syringe to add the alk slowly, otherwise all my milles and other sps get all retracted for a second.

Here's one thing that I noticed as well. I used to dose every other day and have since switched to dosing every morning at half the dose as before. It is probably due to the fact that the parameters are a lot more stable (CA/ALK wise) but all of my stonies are a lot happier and better looking. Lots more growth as well.

I may have to start dosing in the evening though per the advice above. I have been just dosing every morning both Alk and Ca.

SeeDemTails

I laugh when people tell me they only need to dose once a week.....All they are doing is spiking their tank once a week......No matter how little or much your tank uses, you need to figure out what your daily dose is, and stick to it.

^ ^ I hear that. I have noticed a big difference dosing daily.

I am going to start dosing the Alk an hour after lights out to see if that makes a difference as well.

thanks prop i was dosing about 7:30 am about 5 hrs before the light comes on, but i think i will now dose 1 hr after it goes out.

thanks man

SeeDemTails
^ ^ I hear that. I have noticed a big difference dosing daily.

I am going to start dosing the Alk an hour after lights out to see if that makes a difference as well.

Be careful dosing after lights out if you have acros, you have to do it slow cause they got their polyps all the way out and you dont want to burn them.

I just caught what prop said. Are you sure about that? I dose a ton of b-ionic in my tank and my pH never spikes above 8.4, even after a 20 ml dose, no matter what time of day. I mean I could see how it could happen but you would have to dose a ton of it.

I try not to dose after lights out for the above stated reason, I dont want to add it when the acros have full PE.

lilredneckman

Well i just got B-ionic the other day and was reading this. From what i understand i should dose Alk and Ca an hour after the lights go out every day?

If it makes a difference i have a 34g RSM with a confusa and a orange digi for sps wise.

Thanks for the help!

SeeDemTails

Naw, I really dont think it matters that much. I dose first thing in the morning and right before bed.....I have a lot of sps and none show negative reactions.

lilredneckman
Naw, I really dont think it matters that much. I dose first thing in the morning and right before bed.....I have a lot of sps and none show negative reactions.

Alright thanks

Archived