Coral Vue Hydros

Light needed

C Jerome

I just purchased a, i think it is called lettuce leather, at my LFS this past weekend and i am wondering how much light it can take, also do this 'come out' like other corals, the first day it was in my tank after a while it was covered about 50-60% with little things sticking out of it, it has not done this since

So... Seven of you have looked at this and no one has any experience or insight for me?  Please let me know

I was looking more at it and I see part of it looks waxie

Thanks

C. Jerome

quiksilver5768

Many leathers go through this. If maintained helathy it will most likely do it once a month. Its sort of like a shrimp molting. It is getting rid of its outside layer and building a newer one. Its outside layer is waxy and slimy. Its best if you see excess waxy and slimy material hanging off it to take that excess stuff out of your tank.

Should i pull he stuff that is hanging off it off with tweezers? or just let it come off by its self and be sucked up by the filter?

Thanks

C. Jerome

quiksilver5768

It may not fully ever come off. I suggest pu;lling most of it off with tweezers but dont force anything off...as in, dont rip anything off the coral if it refuses to budge...

I got home from school today and came up to my room to look at it and just about all of the waxie stuff is off except near the very edge/underside.  And it has come out, it has lots of little post like things sticking out of it, thats is as far as they come right?  

Thanks

C. Jerome

quiksilver5768

Well those post thingys you speak of are actually polyps coming from your leather. Im pretty sure by the post thingys...your leather is not a lettuce. Its a toadstool. It depends how far those things come out...if they come out more...the healthier it is really. Take out the excess wazy stuff that you see around its base...it can start to irritate the coral if left there...

I thought it said lettuce but It could be a toadstool, i will try to post a picture soon.  Do the polyps 'open' or is that it?

Thanks C. Jerome

This is the leather in question

Leather%20Coral%20Web.gif

also can you tell me any thing about this button

Button%20Web.gif

and just to show him off here is a pictuer of my mandarin

Mandarin%20Web%20post.jpg

quiksilver5768

Quick question...how old is your tank? And do you have any type of sump/refugium of seom sort....because if you dont...you should have really researched about the mandarin first. Im not trying to scold you or put you down or anything but if its a new tank and your mandarin doesnt except prepared foods...it will die soon :(

I did reasearch all about mandarins first for weeks and decided to get one.   I know they eat the copopods from the live rock but they eat other stuff too.  I feed mine brine shrimp and it likes them.  I put a few in before the lights go out for the other fish and then when the lights go out i put a bunch in for the mandarin to find in the rocks later, i have had him for a few weeks and have seen no ill effects, he is not losing weight, i saw one the my LFS that had been there for three weeks and had that charastic emaciated look, it was so sad.  

Do you know what type of leather that is?

Thanks

C. Jerome

Crown leather...

Man can not live by bread alone ...... niether can mandarins on brine. ;)

(Edited by fish04 at 12:48 pm on May 9, 2002)

quiksilver5768

well brine shrimp is probably the least nutritous food you could feed it.

As for copepods...its like eatingfast food everyday...you can live with it but its not healthy. In nature, madarins eat a huge variety of pods and other little things. I feed my 2 mandarins in my 40 mysis shrimp as this is one of the healthiest food fish can eat. My pair loves them...you should always feed a variety of foods. I feed veggie flakes, mysis, brine, and even some bloodworms once and a while.

i will try some of these shrimp too and some blood worms, I am sure he will like all of them together even more

Thanks

C. Jerome

PS how big are these shrimp and will my lfs have them?

How big is your tank? Mandarins should be in nothing less than a reef with 100+ lbs of live rock, and the tank should be well established (over a year old). The reason for this is the mandarin has a varied diet. When I say varied , I mean varied, not just brine one day, and pods the next and a few blood worms here and there. They need native variant.  A well established reef MAY have enough micro growth to support a mandrin (for a while). They WILL die if they don't have constant grazing, and a varied diet. This toipic has been beaten to death in this forum, I'm not going to rehash it, but if Pulpsamck sees this he'll be glad to;) ...do a search and read all you want, but bottom line.....get rid of the Mandarin!

I really wish distributors would stop selling them, but then again the consumer has to be educated not to buy them....the old premise of supply and demand. If you demand them, they'll supply them...unfortunately!

(Edited by fish04 at 2:23 pm on May 10, 2002)

quiksilver5768

Hey fish04,

I have to say that your wrong about some things dealing with the madarin. First of all they CAN survive if given a good diet for a LONG time (my pair has lived for 3 years in my 40 gal). Its not liek gonipora where no one can keep it alive after 6 months or so. People just have to know and feed them their requirements. Of course we can't feed them their exact diet they get from the reef...we cant give anything in our tank the conditions exactly how it is in the actually ocean (corals, fish) We have to improvise as we do with supplements. Gonipora is a coral that has proven not to accept our supplements but for fish, some mandarin have. If he says his mandarin is eating prepared food. Well he got lucky and if he veries up the diet well enough, his mandarin should live for a long time. If someone is unfortunate and gets a mandarin that wont take any prepared foods well then, they're out of luck and thats wher eyour point comes in. But if his is doing well eating things he feeds it, it will survive.

quicksilver is right you cant base facts on one persons "knowledge" that they got from books. and unless you have experience with at least 2 of the same fish its too hard to tell from that and you cant listen to what CERTIAN people say about certain things sometimes because they havent had enough exp. but from what i know quicksilver is right,Chris:)

Archived