Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tunze 9002

Phixion

I just recently purchased a used Tunze 9002 skimmer to fit in the compact "5 x "3 intake chamber of my AA 10g custom AIO tank. The skimmer fits fine, but due to the water fluctuation of the entire back sump area when evap comes into play, the skimmer doesn't work so well and so far I've ended up with either a cup completely filled with water, or no skimmate at all even when the bubbles ar adjusted to about halfway up the tube in the cup. Anyways, that was the least of my issues. Then last night I ran the skimmer for the first time through the night and would just run it 24/7 from then on (I didn't want to at first since it's pretty noisey from the venturi air intake). Normally my tank is about 78-79F by night. This morning after the first night of running it through the night, I woke up to my tank being 85F!! Now it didn't harm anything and that wasn't my worry, but it DOES concern me that the skimmer actually generates that much heat. Is this normal of the 9002 skimmers (or 9005/9010 for that matter)?? It just struck me as odd... I know it's the skimmer for sure and not my heater because when I turned it on, the tank wasn't near the 78 mark the heater comes on at, and as soon as I unplugged the skimmer this morning the tank temp had dropped by 0.3F within 10 minutes! I never noticed it when running the skimmer during the day on my daylight cycle as I have a fan run over the tank when the lights are on, so it was keeping my temps down or from climbing up anyways. Needless to say I'm like 98% decided now that I'll just have to sell the skimmer and give up the idea of skimming my 10g tank since I really don't need to anyways.

Anyone that owns/runs a Tunze 9002 experience the hotter tank temps issue that I obseved?? :huh:

Running that skimmer in the RSM but haven't seen any temperature issues like you have. Yet I have 24 more gallons of water, but that skimmer should be fine in that size tank IMO

The pump in the 9002 is so small, I can't see it producing that much heat on a unit that is in full operating condition.

Maybe test it out in a bucket? See if it raised the temp in there after one days opperation.

Is this normal of the 9002 skimmers (or 9005/9010 for that matter)?? It just struck me as odd...

Doesn't sound right. My 9010 adds very little, if not unnoticeable, heat. Have you maybe taken it apart and treid to re-assemble it? Perhaps something isn't seated properly...?

Needreefunds
Doesn't sound right. My 9010 adds very little, if not unnoticeable, heat. Have you maybe taken it apart and treid to re-assemble it? Perhaps something isn't seated properly...?

+1 here Phixion.

I have a 9010 running in the sump of my 20L prop tank.

Around 27 gal total with no issues.

A good cleaning perhaps? I recall reading something about CA build up around the pump shaft and bearings that blocked off water flow around them causing some heat and performance issues.

If all else fails, perhaps a Pm to Roger on, eh, that other forum?

The person I purchased it from (a VERY trusted NR and SCNRS member) sold me the skimmer after he had purchased it from another NR member but didn't end up using it. Anywho, he too suggested contacting Roger @ Tunze. I'd rather try that out than recoup the money I paid for it which the member would refund to me if necessary.

So should I just contact Roger, or should I attempt to clean out the skimmer first??

Oceanic 30g

I had what I thought was an issue and Roger was very helpful. I would call him. In the end, I just needed reassurance and a bit of patience. You should get an ATO.

Those skimmers are a bit temperamental about the water level.

HecticDialectics
The person I purchased it from (a VERY trusted NR and SCNRS member) sold me the skimmer after he had purchased it from another NR member but didn't end up using it. Anywho, he too suggested contacting Roger @ Tunze. I'd rather try that out than recoup the money I paid for it which the member would refund to me if necessary.

So should I just contact Roger, or should I attempt to clean out the skimmer first??

Roger doesn't charge for advice :P Just contact him!

Needreefunds
Roger doesn't charge for advice :P Just contact him!

Roger is the man, no doubt. Customer service at its best. Definitely give him a shout.

Please let us know how you make out Phixion.

Well I did get a reply, but it didn't seem to help me much based on it, so I sent him a counter reply, waiting to see the reply to it from him. :)

He did say that a 2-3 degree rise in temperature should be normal for that size of a tank, but in reality my temp rise was 5-7 degrees which is rather significant.

His reply insists that a temp rise will occur, but he says 2-3 degrees still... Something has to be wrong that's causing such a high temp rise. I've had 2 other pumps in the tank at the same time (equalling about the same amount of wattage total) and never had a heat issue.

Nick's Reef

Did you take the pump apart to see if anything is caught in the prop? I've had my mj900 overheat my tank cause some filter floss got wrapped up in the prop and it couldn't spin.

Just my two-cents, hope you can figure this out.

Nick, I removed the skimmer and opened the bottom up. Pulled out the pump, opened it and cleaned out the impeller and slot it goes into. I surprised to find the impeller and insides immaculately clean! Not even any slimey film on the impeller or blades. I put it back together and turned it back on. The tank was a cozy 79.7F when I plugged it in. Within 10 minutes the tank was 80.5F... So it had rose by almost a fill degree in just 10 minutes. I'm sitting her about 5-10 minutes later and the temp is holding at 80.5F right now. So far so good. I also adjusted the air screw so that the bubbles are about halfway up the tube inside the cup. I also snapped a pic of my current tank water level. Perhaps someone can enlighten me to if the skimmer is at the right level with the water and if the bubble level in the cup is too high or just right. Roger suggested having the skimmer sit with the water about a half inch below the marked water line, but the thing is I looked the skimmer body completely over and couldn't find the line he's refering too... :unsure: Anywho, here's the pic of it I snapped:

tunze_9002.jpg

Oceanic 30g

Phix...

Mine is dead on the line to get the best results. Also, I think your bubbles are too high. Tighten the screw to 1/4 and the slowly open it. I did that and overflowed the muck back into the tank.

Needreefunds
Hmm, ok.

As of note, the tank temp is holding at 80.5F B)

Well glad to hear that, but curious as to why the change.

I hope this continues for you. :)

BTW I also purchased mine used and was somewhat disappointed at first, but after a two week break in period the performance is steady and hassle free. Just clean the cup/reactor and set it back on.

Ok, things are working out now. It's producing skimmate, and the tank is currently at it's usual comfortable 79.4F It did peak at 83.2F over night however. It cooled off after the fan came on that's plugged to the daylight timer.

Archived