Coral Vue Hydros

ExceLLENT FORuM!!!!!

ralegen

I'm very glad I found this site! I went from a 10 GAL Eclipse to a 50 gal tank. I didn't persue the whole reef thing until now. I am starting up with a 12 Gal Eclipse now, and I hope I get enough information before I start my very NanoReef. :)

Money is no object at this point, but knowing that the price will be moderate, I'm very stoked! Well, I guess I have one question before searching for an answer:

NEVermind! I'd rather read up!!! Great to be here! I feel like I'm at home!!

;)

BTW, I want to go sump, protein, and whatever it takes to have a really good system. I guess I do have a QUESTION: Should I expect to drill and make modifications to my tank?

Here's a picture before I go NANO.

Welcome home! :)

You'll be sorry you said money is no object! Trust me.

If you want to heavily modify a tank, the eclipse isnt always the best choice. You pay a lot of money for the hood and filter - both of which could easily be scrapped for something better. But it IS easier to drill than glass.

1st of all, make sure you never used copper in that tank.

If you want a sump and protein skimmer and the works, expect to drill it. If you want to keep SPS corals eventually, expect to ditch the hood.

If I were you, I'd drill 2 holes in the top back panel and plumb it to a decent-sized sump. Remove the lid and hang a 150 watt metal halide over top.

Many will tell you to scrap the hood on the Eclipse, but if you decide to keep it, you can get a lot of light under there. I have one and I am currently pushing 109 watts of power compacts, which, for the most part, gives you enough light for almost everything. If you're good at DYI, then stick with it and you'll be happy. Welcome and good luck!

Moderate hehe, thats what I thought when I started my 7 just 2 months ago, then I loved it so much I have bought a 20 long, and now in 1 month setting up my 20 I have spent well over a grand.....gets expensive fast!!!

At the very least you can retrofit the hood with the CSL 32 watt supernova. If you're really into lots of light, there is room in the hood for more. You just have to ditch the stock filter and do some dremeling.

You can fit a 96w powerquad in the hood by just swapping it with the stock light, that's it. No modifying the hood at all, but you do get a large increase in heat.

Here are some pics that I had in my computer at work. If you want some more, let me know. It's a CSL 96w 50/50 powerquad with a 13w Rite Lite (Lowes) actinic (Hello Lights). I Dremeled (definitely invest in one) the reflector of the quad and screwed it in. Heat became an issue, so I Dremeled (did I say definitely get one of these) two holes on the back sides for fans. Heat stays steady at 81 degrees and corals are growing nicely and happy as hell.

that's a beutiful freshwater tank!

why don't you keep the eclipse fresh and set up like a 10/15 gallon glass reef, or better yet, get a minibow 16!! brand new tank!

skimmers don't necessarily provide the best setup. the simpler the better, i say. (to a certain extent)

el dante, that's how I like my pasta, the pics of the tank and lights are nice - but we see lot's of them around here. How about more pics of the lady though? Dog is optional. ;)

Originally posted by SeaMountain

el dante, that's how I like my pasta, the pics of the tank and lights are nice - but we see lot's of them around here. How about more pics of the lady though? Dog is optional. ;)

LMAO!! Let's see if Sumbel actually comes through with her snake pics, and then we can take it from there.

el_dante! That's the exact thing I was thinking of doing. (PC fan thing). And YES, I have a dremel. Wow.. you're hood is nicely setup, and I see that you have... hmm.. is that an auto topper? (the red cord) That's great..

As for my Fresh water.. Well, I like it because it's easy as heck to maintain, but.. freshwater fish IMO are freakn ugly. The breed that I can withstand are the neon tertras. But.. man.. I miss clowns and the potential from having a nano-reef.

Here's something interesting with a custom MOONLIGHT:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=11269

FURTHERMORE: el_dante, what's that yellow capped cyclinder thing? What are you using for a filter, did you take out your stock?

I heard that it's a preference for taking the bio wheel out because there are so many pros and cons. But here a REAL QUESTION THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:

Aren't carbon cartridges important? No one seems to talk about them.. instead everyone is more interested in Refugiums, and skimmers

Yea, that's an auto top-off. Best $32 I've ever spent. I attached it to the center piece that holds the Eclipse together. Believe it or not, regardless of what others will tell you, you can really do a lot with this hood.

Jdsabin's set-up, which he no longer has b/c he's been through like 10 other set-ups, was really nicely done too.

Oops, forgot to answer your last questions. I took the stock filter out so that I would have more room for the lights. I replaced it with an Aquaclear 150, and so far, no complaints at all. I run carbon 24/7 and all is well. I never ran my bio wheel. After doing some research, I was convinced that the way to go was w/out it. Others, however, will argue other wise that bio wheel is the way to go. Be prepared to receive a lot of back and forth opinions.

Archived