ReefCleaners.org

Do I have a filtering problem?

nannodad

My issue is small debris throughout the tank. Here is what I have. 12gAP in the back I have the stock sponge. In the second chamber I turned i into a fuge. There I have LS and Cheato. Next chamber I have stock filter media and carbon (I did away with the bio balls). I have been cycling for about 3wks now with perfect clarity but now there seems to be a film of crap (i don't know what to call it) on the surface and small sand like debris throughout the tank. Do I need a skimmer? Any ideas?

Try positioning the powerhead so you get some decent surface agitation. I use filter floss that I change daily and Kent Pro Clear once a week for a month with a new tank to get rid of that crap.

you should take out the carbon and replace it when your done cycling with new stuff. Block the lower filter grates to increase water going through the top. Also upgrade stock pump to a MJ900. Get rid of the stock sponge and use filter floss, no need to change it regularly just every week. Also replace the carbon every week or just get some chemi-pure and purgien. Also do as the above suggested by aiming water flow at the surface.

Archived