SaltCritters.com

Need some Macro Algea in San Diego

moorediddy

Any of you SD nano reefers have any caulpera or other macro algea? I am setting up my fuge soon and need some macro algea to kick things off, thanks.

-moore

Well you wont be able to get any caulerpa from aquatic or any other store for that matter.

I can give you some chaetomorpha (spaghetti) and maybe one other, I forget the name. The spaghetti is great for nutrient uptake and it wont go sexual.

Great, I was just reading a forum on brillo/spaghetti macro a couple days ago... doesn't go sexual, easy to take out, etc. Also makes a great hiding place for pods.

PM me.

-moore

www.sdmas.org is the San Diego Marine Aquarium Society...

I wish there were a more specific REEF club, because I sure wouldn't mind a monthly meeting/frag swap.

There are a ton of people on here from SD, so perhaps we could set one up..

-moore

• 3 weeks later...

*BUMP*

A reef/frag club around San Diego would be great, there seems to be at least 2 dozen people on nano-reef from around here. Frag swapping is awesome but things like swapping LR rubble, live sand, macroalgae would be way cool, because that stuff is usually too expensive to buy when you only need small amounts for the nano. I guess that holds for frags too! :)

I would also be interested. I am a member of the San Diego Tropical Fish Society and we have monthly meetings. ALL my stock has come from them, even some beautiful/professional/show quality bettas. I also get my plants from the club. It is a great thing that has been around for a long time. We meet at Balboa Park. A poll of where people live may help in finding a location although something this exciting would be ok to travel the distance.

Harry:P

There is the San Diego Marine Aquarium Society at www.sdmas.org

I haven't checked them out but for $20 bucks a month they have meetings at different members houses. Not exactly nano specific. But if enough of us show up then I guess it could be.

Anyone interested? Or are we rebels and do it our way?

BTW - Im in!B)

sdboogie: Yeah, we already mentioned them in this thread... I have yet to check them out though. They usually meet on Wednesdays I think, right when I'm working. Anyway, I'm up for a nano-specific group, or just taking all of us over to SDMAS... again, if anyone has some webspace available, let me know...

-moore

So, we probably need some place to meet. I came up with three options. Option 1 - a public library. Some of the libraries have rooms available to reserve. There are some parameters that make it free with $100 deposit. I think we fit the parameters. Option 2 - SD park and recs. A lot of recreation centers have rooms for rent. They were closed before I could call to ask rates. Option 3 - Coco's Mission Gorge. My wife belongs to a Friends of organization for my daughter's school. They meet once a month in the backroom of Coco's in Mission Gorge. They usually sit down and some eat, some get coffee. They don't seem to mind as long as they have advanced notice.

I don't know, but there's three ideas. Nothing's going to happen if we get a bunch of "I'm interested" responses.

I have no idea what happens at these things and what kind of facilities are needed. Maybe Birch Aquarium or Scripps or Sea World would have facilities for our purpose. Feel free to share your ideas of what this is and what we need.

For the web page stuff, maybe a geocites account?

FYI - The SDMAS club is REEF related.....

Just about everyone in the club has a reef tank. There are a few with fish only tanks but just about everything is centered around reef tanks. We are always trying to set up speakers or events that are reef related. As a matter of fact this Saturday is a behind the scenes tour at Sea World with the Orange county & LA county reef clubs. Not the whole park but mostly at they're tropical reef tank exhibits. Personally I havent been there in years so I cant say its really a reef tank but knowing sea world Im sure its decent.

Anyway some other events are wholesaler trips, group buys, tank tours, LA & Orange county shop tours, etc...We do a lot of things with the Orange county club so theres always something cool coming up.

Meetings are on Tuesdays, the next meeting will be the 16th. The fee ($20) is to help pay for some of the speakers, events, web space, etc.... Our fee is actually the cheaper of the 3 southern California clubs. I believe LA has a fee of $35. Check out our web site if anyone is interested. Theres a calender for events (not always up to date though), we even have a discussion board on yahoo that anyone can subscribe too.

Well if anyone is interested just check it out.

BTW as far as I know there are only two nano-reef.com members in the SDMAS club, myself and one other.

www.sdmas.org

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SDMAS/?yguid=143668336

Well I read that there was a nano-reef san diego BBQ or something a while back, before I joined. If I had a friggin house I would offer to do that. Beers and frags sound cool.

I was wondering about the SDMAS but it sounded pretty small, didn't want to get a bunch of lectures about doing nanos in less than 50g. Good to see someone represent.

If we vote or something I would be more in to just an irregular once in a while get together. Quick and easy, no obligations, get to swap, get to meet some forum peeps.

Dont let the word get out but the last San Diego nano BBQ meet weeeeelll it sucked...big time. What 4 or 5 people max and I even had one of my frags swiped! I guess the guy figured $8 bucks was too much. So he waited till I wasnt looking.

We have about 10 core members that show up to every meeting. And about another 10 that show up every now and then, and a crap load that dont go to any meetings. Compared to the other two clubs (SCMAS & MASLAC) we are small, very small. They have huge participation by the members (about 40 core members)and local stores. We only have one store that chips in (Octopuss Garden), the others dont even want to hear about it (Pat you reading this?!?!).

You dont have to worry about being slammed for having a nano....there are a good number of people with small tanks but none of them check this site regularly.

Archived