Innovative Marine Aquariums

Skimmer stopped skimming?

showjyr

I have a new Tunze 9002 skimmer and it worked great....... for a while. It took a few days to break in but after that it did a great job. After a few weeks it pretty much stopped producing skimmate and even foam in the riser tube. I've tried adjusting the height in the water, the amount of air it's getting, I even removed it and took it all apart to see if I could tell what was wrong. It produces a nice pearly mist of bubbles, they reach the top of the skimmer chamber and even start up the riser tube but after.....nothing.

Can somebody tell me what the hell is wrong?????

I have a new Tunze 9002 skimmer and it worked great....... for a while. It took a few days to break in but after that it did a great job. After a few weeks it pretty much stopped producing skimmate and even foam in the riser tube. I've tried adjusting the height in the water, the amount of air it's getting, I even removed it and took it all apart to see if I could tell what was wrong. It produces a nice pearly mist of bubbles, they reach the top of the skimmer chamber and even start up the riser tube but after.....nothing.

Can somebody tell me what the hell is wrong?????

maybe yo uover skimmed your tank?

It could be some thing you're adding/dosing in the tank. Also, when I put my hands in the tank with no gloves my skimmer stops foaming for about an hour. One other thing...you have to clean the new skimmer in the sink before putting it in.(Something about the oil residue from the manufacturing process.) hth.

Can't think of anything new I've done and I rarely stick my hands in without gloves. Like I said the skimmer worked great for a few weeks and then just stopped so I'm sure it's not oils from manufacturing. I'm really stumped.

Pulled it apart again last night and still couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I put it back together and let it run through the night as of right now I have 0 skimmate and the foam still isn't climbing the riser tube........any ideas???

I have a prizm pro on my 35g FOLR that periodically produces 0 skimmate, then a couple of days later begins working normally. Happens every couple of weeks for a day or so but always starts working again...never have figured out the cause...

Depending on how new it is there were some problems with the venturi and they were replacing them. I wrestled with mine for a while also. There is a thread about it on rc. I just took mine apart and shortened the tubing that attaches to the venturi. It worked for me. Good luck.

It's producing an insane amount of bubbles just no climbing the riser. I cleaned it out and I'll see what it produces tomorrow.

is the riser tube clean??? dirty skimmers = no skimmate.

EDIT: oils on human hands f up skimmers. try not sticking your hand in the tank, let alone the skimmer.

I almost always use gloves in the tank and I used gloves when I cleaned out the skimmer tonight. We'll see what happens. <_<

Archived