ReefCleaners.org

breeding false percula

Kingpin

-how sucessful is getting a pair with 2 unsex percs?

-will percs breed reguarly?

-is it profitable?

-what do you feed parents, and fry?

-do they need a host to breed?

-will eggs get eaten by shrimp, crabs, or snails?

i have a 10gal cycling w/ 15lb of LS and awaiting LR.

i only want false percs and that will be the only fish in the tank.

firstly 2 juv. fish should in time form a pair, it is however quicker to buy an established pair. Once your pair starts to spawn if left undisurbed and fat and healthy they will breed readily. It can be profitable, but most breed clowns as a hobby not for an income. Parents will eat anything from flake to seafood mix, the fry on the other hand need rotifers for the first week of so need BBS for a few more weeks until they are big enough to take prepared foods, see the fish breeding and the clownfish forums at reef central for more info. No you don't need a host most breeders use terracotta pots as spawning sites. Yes many tank inhabitants will consume eggs and fry. Yeh best bet is to have a look at the forum at reef central I mentioned. HTH

-2 juvenile fish = a pair

-NOT PROFITABLE. You need to keep well maintained tanks, as well as culturing green water, rodifers, and baby brine to feed the fry. With the cost of supplies and time it will only be an educational experience. Unless your turnover of fish is almost 100% of the eggs, which is unlikely. Sorry :)

-other animals will eat the eggs

- DO NOT need host. Will place eggs on a tile surface placed into a non decorated tank.

If you are really interested in breeding these fish, buy Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfish. This gives you step by step instruction and great information.

Archived