ReefCleaners.org

Considering a refugium

Red Trigger Fish

Red Trigger Fish

I think that i want to go with a refugium for my 29 g fish/reef tank and i need to know the cheapest but still efficient route to go. I dont want to use an aquaclear either. I was considering HOB or a Sump made out of a 10 g tank.I also need information on what to put in the refugium/where to get a pre-made one/lighting/any other info and tips.

-thnx

P.S. this is my first saltwater tank and I am only 15 so every bit of information is precious.

im 16 so i know the money deal and the space deal(parents hate my 5 fish tank around the house, not all SW)

i was considering a refugium too. but i have a 10gal.

my fuge was going to be a HOB style w/ a twist. i would use a 2.5gal sitting a little above water level on a small stand behind the tank that i would make out of wood. i then have eheim hose leftovers from my 55gal filter i would use as an intake(i believe 5/8") silcone it to the 2.5gal and have the other end silcone to the 10gal( this is the basic inverted U tube method.) i would then make wall of pexi-glass for dividers for the fuge area. then the output would be a pump to move water back into tank. i personal have a 260gph w/ a DIY plumping that splits for 2 jets made out of 1/2 pvc piping.

another idea i had to add to this would be... for the intake add a overflow box that would be DIY in the corner made of pexi-glass.

also instead of the eheim hose you can you pvc. flexible or standard w/ 2-90*angles

I'm hoping you can buy pexi-glass in sheets to be cut. lucky for my my dads a carpenter and got the tools for me to use. also can get help from him if im in a jam.

my idea is not yet made but maybe this gives you an idea for yours.

what only 5 tanks come on pick up your game. I've got 5 marines and 5 fresh and i'm only 2 years older then you;) . I have a refugium on my 55gal and my 15gal very good to have for both the pods they produce and the filteration. My 15gal cycled in 4 days!:o amm. - 0, NO3 - 0 and NO2 - 0 when I had the refugium in their.......can't imagine the affect on the pod population but now 3 weeks on the pods are crawling everywhere.......if you can, get one for your tank:P

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some research here at NR, but is this right?

There are 2 ways of having the water go down to the sump:

1) Overflow

2) Drilled hole

I plan on doing the Overflow because I've read some scary stuff on the outcomes of drilling glass.

I had my tanks drilled. Just because the cost of the tank getting drilled was 25 dollars versus the 85 dollars for a CPR overflow box. Then I got some black abs pipe and have it going to the ref behind the cabinet. It was suppose to go into the cabinet but the idiot at teh cabinet shop screwed it up.

Eddie

Hmm... then maybe I should get mine professionally drilled. I know of a glass shop down the street. But what if my glass is tempered? Should I have it drilled?

When it comes to something like this, I would prefer a professional doing it. (though I am more of a DIYer.)

Furthermore, what about the return? Does that normally sit on top of the water. Because I've seen tanks with 2 holes! one on the back and one at the bottom. Dude.. I'm confused.. I guess I 'm going to have to research a little more. ~unless someone can explain or direct me somewhere?please?

Archived