Pod Your Reef

playing the waiting game... fish food question

siskiou

Still waiting for the last bit of nitrite to vanish (between 0 and 0.3 atm), so I have had plenty of time to read and plan ahead.

What's the general opinion about adding corals first or fish first?

To me it seems it might be better to have the tank adjust to the bioload of the fish first, and add the corals later, but most people recommend the opposite...

Also, what is considered good food for fish and shrimp?

We are thinking of adding a red headed goby and a six line wrasse in the future, and maybe a third fish (small clown or dottyback or gramma? hard to decide!).

Brine shrimp are supposed to be of not much nutritional value (is that true even if you feed them well? Have a little tank for them at home?).

What other live foods would be better, or is frozen the choice?

Oh, and another question: whenever I blast my LR with the turkey baster, tons of stuff comes off that very quickly settles right back down where it came from. I run a little filter with poly right after, and it takes some stuff out, but there is always more.

Will the snails take care of this, once my parameters allow me to put them in?

Surprisingly, there seems to be quite a bit of coralline growing on the LR, already.

Siskiou

20H

I am using Macro Algae in fuge, DT's Phytoplankton, Frozen Brine and trying out Selcon. I have heard that people add Selcon to thier frozen food to add nutritional value.

I add most of the corals first. I think that if you add the fish before most of the corals, it stresses the fish out too much since your constantly messing with it's home when your putting in corals all the time. Some fish also pester new additions to the tank, or nip at you X)

The fish should be fed a wide variety of foods. I feed mostly frozen foods such as Brine, Mysis, Bloodworms, Formula1, but I also use flakefood on occasion as well as pellets. You can also make your own frozen fish food...there are lots of recipes out there for this.

If the brine are enriched, then that should be fine.

I soak all my frozen foods in Zoe & Zoecon (Zoecon= same thing as selcon). If your raising brine, then you can add these to the water to give them some nutritional value.

Mysis shrimp are allot better than brine shrimp, &

most people believe that PE mysis have the best mysis --->http://www.mysis.com

The stuff on the rock is just detritus. There will always be some of it, but maybe not as much as your getting now. The snails excrement will be all over the rocks to =] So you do need to baste the rocks sometimes and use some sort of filter to export it.

Archived