inTank Media Baskets

Phosban Reactor

Screename_116

Screename_116

I'm considering buying a Phosban Reactor. I know I often see them set up with I think just one 150 gram package of Phosban. Which leaves a lot of room for more media. Could I put a bag of carbon in there?

(Sorry for the dumb question, never had one).

Yup! I have one that I just aquired. I'm putting about 120-150mg of Warner Marine's PHOSar in it as well as some active carbon. B)

bluebastion

My personal experience is that it works... but the phosban will work just as well if you put it in a media bag and dunk it in an area where there is low but steady flow. For all-in-ones, the rear chambers are fine for this method. I took my reactor down mostly because it is too much work to just change the media out. It's so much easier to pull a media bag out, dump the media in the bag out.. refill... then dunk it back in to the sump area.. rather than disassembling the reactor. On this subject, whatever works best for you.. but you don't have to buy the reactor for the phosban to work properly.

EDIT: And sorry, I just noticed that I didn't answer your question... :eek: Yes you will have plenty of room for other media. I believe I used Chemipure in conjunction with the phosban. This was before Chemipure elite came out.

• 1 month later...

Phosban needs lower flow than activated carbon so if you put both together in the same reactor with the flow set to work with the phosban, the carbon won't work as well. If you set the flow for optimum use of the carbon, then you risk having the phosban media grinding up and being released into your tank. If you wanted to run both carbon and phosban, I would run separate reactors of off the same pump with a flow regulator on the reactor with the phosban.

I run both carbon and phosban in the same reactor. The pelets are harder than the granuals and don't get ground up as much. I also use ROX carbon. Because of it's small size it sits on top of the phosban. I use a mini jet 404 as a pump and it works great for me.

One downside to running them both in the same reactor is you run the risk of wasting phosban which can get expensive. The carbon tends to expier quicker than the phosban so if you replace them both at the same time you won't be getting your money's worth out of the phosban.

Archived