Cultivated Reef

help adding baffles

sil80guy

I have my 20L tank im making into my sump/refug. I was wondering if the thickness of the glass would matter for baffles. Also is silicone glue hard to use?

I was also wondering if i would need to make a bubble trap between the sump/refug. If not I can just make 1 divider from the sump/refug, then add a bubble trap from the refug to the return area.

i think 1/8" glass might work, but i use .25" glass. Also you might want to do the dual bubble traps it is up to you. Silicon glue is not that hard to use but it is very sticky so make sure you are doing this project on a surface that can be easily cleaned and have paper towels on had.

Thanks for the reply. before I actually go to my osh and get the glass, Im gonna check 1 more glass company to see if they can do it for me.

Hmm i still have to do a few more research before I set my mind about the bubble traps. Im getting the skimmer that hangs on the sump, because a regular skimmer wont fit in the cabinet.

quicksketch.jpg

heres my quick sketch, the spaces inbetween the glass is 1 inch.

If you have space issues, one bubble trap at the end would work. It is not bad if bubbles end up in the refugium area, nobody sees it, and skimmer bubbles won't hurt anything. It is a lot more important to not have the bubbles go into the return pump. That would create billions of micro-bubbles in your display.

dsoz

I understand about the bubbles for the return area. The reason I didnt want to add the baffles from the sump to refug was because I didnt want the water level that high. I made the quick sketch to see if you guys/girls would think it would work. as you can see the left most baffle on each bubble trap section is lower. Will this work?

If you make bubble traps make sure you space the baffles 1" appart. Any closer and the flow between them will be too fast and the bubbles will not escape. I made my sump out of a 20H. Check out my build thread and let me know if you have any questions.

Archived