Coral Vue Hydros

Water changing.....

ralegen

Hello everyone. I've had a salt water tank before, and I took it down a while back. Now I'm planning on starting one for my 12 gallon Eclipse. Here are some questions that I have:

1. I usually purchased ocean water from my fish store. They are very professional with salt-water tanks and reefs; however, I'm reading a lot about buying a salt bag, and mixing your own. What is the most economical way to go? and which do most of you guys prefer?

2. What's a refuguim? I have a basic idea, and I wouldn't mind adding one, but would it be absolutly necessary opposed to a protein skimmer? Or am I talking about two different things? hehe.(leads to my 3rd question)

3.Protein skimmer is good, but not for a small tank. True or False?

Thanks everyone. I read almost everything on the information page of this site, but couldn't find basics. Sorry if I'm asking the same questions from previous discussions too.

I can help you on the mixing salt water question

Locally it costs me 7.99 for a box of Instant Ocean that mixes 10 gals...it costs me .49 per gal of purified ocean water.

By buying the Ocean Water, 10gals costs 4.90...so you save about 3 dollars for every 10 gals you fill up

Its more economical for me just to buy the water, and a LFS near me has promotions now and again for Salt Water at .19 a gal...so at that point its way cheaper

Archived