Cultivated Reef

Advice wanted on new hood...

jayk

I'm planning on putting together a 20gal tank (probably 20-high - these are 24"x12"x16") and I'll be building a hood for it. I don't know exactly what I'm going to put in the tank yet, but I'd like to try some SPS corals and maybe a clam or two (I currently have a 6gal eclipse with 2 x 13W, and I can keep soft corals but that's about it). I'm designing the hood for the tank right now - I have a 70W MH I plan on using (10K Ushio bulb + surplus inverter - thanks, foo!), and I'm also thinking of getting a couple of CFs from ahsupply - either 2x36 or 2x55W strips. All of the lights will be elevated by 6-7" off the surface of the water. I'll use a piece of glass to protect the lights from water and to shield the tank from UV. I'll sequence the lights on so the PCs come on first followed by the MH, and then turn them off in the reverse order. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should go with the 36 or 55W PCs? Would 180W (total) restrict me to keeping only corals that can handle very high light levels? The highest intensity should be near the center of the tank - the light level will obviously be lower off to either end.

Thanks,

Jay

Archived