Coral Vue Hydros

New pics of my 20l with new psl mh hood!

mane3215

Check it out, you can see a mini review over int he lighting forum under bware of PSL thread.

Its two 150mh;s marked as 20k ont he box, and one 65w actinic pc. Yes, I know the legs on this thing are a joke, I will be making some new ones, or hangin this guy pendant style.

NewPSLS.jpg

Thanks, I just realized that the mh on the left side of the tank is letting off a lot less light then the one on the right side. I dont know what is causing it. I am going to let them burn in and see if it changes. Hopefully its just the cheap catalina bulbs. I plan on getting two 20k Radium bulbs or 10k ushios since I have the 65w actinic not sure yet, as soon as I get the money.

Is there a point in getting 20k's since I have that 65w actinic pc?

Here are a couple of it before it was hooked up. Once I get my tank in its final setup stages I will snap lots more, unless there is somethign youw ant me to specifically shoot. I have to do somethign about these legs too, there horrible.

Also, its not as purple as it seems, its much brighter, I am going to try to take a pic of the bulb difference, and the actual color now.

spsl1.jpg +

spsl2.jpg

Ok, sorry for the big images, I just wanted you guys to see clearly and let me know what you think. What you see in the photos is pretty close to real life difference in the two 20k 150w bulbs.

Bulbs.jpg

Hands.JPG

yeah, i think you got jipped on the left bulb. it's not nearly as bright as the other one. and when you get new bulbs, i would go with 10K because you have the 65 watt actinic. i think it would give you the color you wanted, plus i think your corals would do better. anyways, nice tank!

10K might be okay but keep in mind that the lower k bulbs are B-R-I-G-H-T! Over a nano the really bright MH bulbs make a small tank look like a bazillion watt bulb. :P

I love my 20K XM's. They are more blue but in a smaller tank they really look nice.

JMO.

i dont know, i still like the 10k's more. i like the whit more then the blue. if it looks to bright he can just raise it up off the tank some. he said he was thinkin about hanging it anyways.

Hmm, dammit now I dont know which path to take hehe....well if the 20k's are anything like the 20k's I have on there now, I will probably go that route. Doesnt seem to bright to me and its not too blue either. We'll see.

Thanks for the input. Now just to start stocking this sucker!

And yet another, a little better then the first, but the tank is much brighter. You can def. see how that bulb on the left is dimmer....grrrr. I guess I cant ***** since it was thrown in for free =).

Tankfront.jpg

i sorta have the same setup . 2 150 hqi but i put 2 17000k blue actinics this was taken about a year ago . My hqi's are USHIO 10000k . I hate 20000k . Catalina bulbs should say 10 or 20k maybe you know allready . could be a bad ballast throwing off lower current and not fire the bulb all the way

That is hilarious that they threw in the new bulbs that is what they use to sell the hoods for with bulbs. Must be because if the bulbs go bad they don't have to replace them because they were given to you.

Sheesh, so should I take the bulbs out and switch them around? I was thinking of doing that yesterday, but its a pain in the arse! I guess that would be a definitive way of telling if it is the ballast or not eh?

Thanks.

I wish I knew what these damn catlinas are, they are marked 20k's, I realy like the look of the bright one, so if its really 20k I will be getting new ones that are 20k. I would like to see some of these guys in person before I make my choice on new ones however.

opps i guess i should clarify . i like the intensity of the 10000k never found a 20000k that was bright enough. i actually run two 55w 17000k bulbs with the two 150 hqi's bright with a good cool color but i am also getting a lower kelvin color for coral growth.

Thank you Dr. Alcibiades.

Just as an update guys, ladst night I switched the bulbs around once they cooled off, and its lucky for me to report the dimness in the before pics is due to the bulb. The dim one is now on the right side instead of the left. I am guessing that is a good enough test to see if it was the bulb or the ballast?

Thanks.

Archived