Top Shelf Aquatics

Cleaning Crew Options?

donteatthenano

donteatthenano

The tank is about cycled and the algae has started to grow. I'm trying to figure out what to recruit for the clean-up crew. Unfortunately my preferred fish store is about 45 minutes away so I'd like to have a good idea of what I want before I go pick something up that I'm not going to be thrilled about later. I picked up 3 astreas yesterday from one of my not-so-preferred stores yesterday, as I thought it was necessary to keep the algae from taking over my tank. I only picked up three because I'm interested in getting a more colorful bunch. I also think that I've got a hitchhiker cerith snail (it's very small so I'm not 100% sure). I've read up on our friendly algae and detritus eaters but I'm still not sure what the best team is going to be for my 10g.

So any advice would be much appreciated. One question in particular: When should the cleaning crew be added? I still have NO3 at 10ppm, but NO2 and NH3 are at 0 now after one whole week.

After your tank has completely cycled do a 10% water change and add your clean up crew.

Remember you don't want too many snails because they will compete for food. Not enough food to go around = dead smelly snails

you can also add a few nass snails for your sand bend. They will also eat left over food that float to the bottom

donteatthenano

Thanks TiGs! I think I definitely want some nassarius snails and I like the look of the trochus snails, but wasn't sure what was too much. Is that something I should kind of feel out for myself or is there a general rule of thumb that might help determine how much of what I might need? What is your clean up crew? Thanks again for any advice anyone may be able to offer. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some wealth in the very near future.

nass snails are cool. Mine'll crawl up the tank glass and then drop to the bottom over and over again. Most stay buried until I drop in some fresh shrimp then they unburrow and come out of nowhere. It's a very competitive snail race to the shrimp! :D

Once there, they are all over it. Currently I have 5 turbo's and 10 nassarius snails in a 10g. Didn't ask for 10, but JP.com sent them anyway so I tossed them in there.

Originally posted by donteatthenano

What is your clean up crew?

I have a 10gallon. 2 astreas, 1 nass, and maybe 5 stormatella(sp?) , and 2 bumblebee(dont seem to do much) snails. 2 red legged hermits. I actually had a total of 4 astreas and 3 nass snails. A few of them died 2-3 months ago, probably not enough food to go around and now all i have left is what I mentioned above. I have a light cleaning crew IMO but I don't see the need for anymore at this point.

you don't have to add your clean up crew all at once. Just monitor your tank for a bit and see how much algae is growing and add accordingly.

Originally posted by donteatthenano

Do the nass snails bother your live rock structure with the digging?

The Nass snails I have don't dig, they burry them selves in the sand. So I don't seem them digging under your rock.

My nass's are only about the size of a small pea. They don't seem to bother the LR, but my LR is fairly chunky and wide at the base. The first cleanup crew I ordered came with 8 turbos, 8 blue leg hermits and 5 redleg or scarlet hermits. 3 turbo's died within 24 hrs, I suspect from shipping or something. 5 are still with me. I think I'm down to 4 or 5 blue legs and maybe 3 redlegs. For about a month or two they were constantly shell-jacking each other unbtil I dropped in some additional shells for them to change out with. Yesterday I noticed two were locked up in a wrestling match again. Like I've said I do drop some shrimp in there for them once or twice a week.

Archived