inTank Media Baskets

First Nano - 20 Gallon - Newbie Questions

GDominy

Hey guys! I've been reading the articles on this site for a few weeks, and I've been reading about nano-tanks for well over a year so I think I'm about ready to start my own.

I have always like tanks around 20 Gallons for aquascaping. I couldnt begin to explain why, but I have had great luck in the past with my planted tanks at this size. So, I thought I would try a nano reef in the same footprint.

Everything I read seems to offer a lot of "suggestions" but no real "best way" of doing things. I know I want to keep it simple, so I'll be avoiding skimming. I already maintain 6 other freshwater tanks in my place (ranging from 7-135 gallons) so I don't have any problems with expanding my weekly maintenance routine.

I was hoping to set up the tank as follows, please feel free to offer any siggestions.

20 Gallon Tank 24" x 12" x 18"

2 x 55watt GE 10000K CF Bulbs

3 x 20 Watt Actinic Bulbs

Aquaclear 500 (for circulaion, and/or micro refugium, I might buy a hang on tank "Ecosystem 40" instead of this)

Aquaclear 402 Powerhead (or a Zoomed Powersweep)

I want to stock this with 25-30 lbs of live rock, and have about 2.5-3" of Sand (Arag-Alive by Caribsea). I havent decided on Corals yet, but I know I want to keep many inverts in this tank. I have a real soft spot for shrimp (I currently keep over 30 different species of freshwater shrimp in some of my planted tanks) and I was hoping to have a couple of small crabs.

I would like to keep a couple of fish in here, 1 True Percula Clown, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Firefish, Or maybe a damsel.. I'm not sure.

Am I on the right track?

powersweep will slowly become power, minus the sweep. One of mine still sweeps but it is slow and erratic. The other stopped after 3 weeks. They suck.

Ok so I'll go with the Aquaclear Powerhead... I have good luck with them.

Have you guys had any experience using the "Eco-System" HOB systems?

Eco-System is way too expensive for my budget plus you have to replace the mud. I have a CPR 18" Refugium at $99, Jalli 13w PC for $15, and with Bak-PakII Pre-Skimmer $19. Right now my tank setup is still new and no signs of problems...knock on wood

What about turning an Aquaclear 500 into a hang on Refugium? Would that work?

I'm looking for simple ways of keeping this little tank running

People have used the AC 300 as a fuge. Search it in the DIY Forum. It's your preference if you want a fuge or not. You can still have a good tank just running the Power Filter as is without media.

Hey GDominy, I have a system that was basically built on the ecosystem 40 specs. Its custom 18x4.5x11 I may be selling. I had it for my 20g. If you are interested you can see pics HERE. I will let it gor for what I paid 75.00 and shipping. I think its much better then the CPR aquafuge. I would def. be keeping it, but I am ordering another from him with a slightly different dimension now =(.

BTW, I also have the ac300 using it as a fuge, works good just too small for me and what I want for my 20. I am still running it though for my carbon and other additives.

I'll think about that.. thanks..

I am wondering what I could grow in this tank given the lighting I have listed... I don't know much about Corals at all, so I have no idea where to begin.....

Check your LFS or order it a nationwide bookstore. I don't know if there is a Borders or a Barnes and Noble in your area.

Borders.com has the book around $27 shipped.

What up Dom..

I figured I would give you some suggestions on your tank because your equipment list practically mirrors my own tank... here are my specs.

20g H all glass

2 x 55 watt pc's (Hamilton 10k & true actinic)

1 x LED moonlight

Zoomed powersweep 212

Penguin 550

CPR Bakpak 2R

Aquaclear 150 (with only carbon)

35 lbs Fiji Liverock

3" sand bed

As far as my lighting goes, the two 55 watt pc lights are more than sufficient to maintain a beautiful reef tank. If I were to change my lighting w/o using metal halide I would maybe only up the wattage to 2 x 65 watt PC's. Having 5 pc lights under one canopy might be too much. You can even successfully keep light-loving clams with just 2 55 watt pc's.

For water-movement, the setup I have with all the equipment running has given me awesome results. I havnt had any failures with my powersweep but maybe im just lucky. If you want to try the powersweep out but dont want to waste 30+ bucks if it fails... you can go on drfostersmith.com who is having a sale on powersweeps. I paid $23 for my powersweep 212 yet it is on sale for $11 on that website.

And as far as water quality goes... the cpr bakpak, the aquaclear w/ carbon, and all my liverock and sand combined have resulted in perfect water conditions. Ive never had a problem with water quality.

if you have any questions on my inhabitants feel free to ask!;)

Hey thanks for the feedback NepTuNe-UsD thats good to hear that I'm on the right track.

I think I'll go with 2 x 55 Watt PC's at 10000k and 1 x 55 Watt PC for Actinic. That should be plenty :-)

What is the CPR bakpak exactly?

I'm starting to feel comfortable with the base setup... now I'm starting to research what I want to stock this with.. I think I'll start with softies.... But with this much light what are my options?

As a beginner, I too will be starting with softies. Inexpensive and easy to take care of. As I gain more experience and of course more money I'll be getting into SPS.

Archived