Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gal lighting help - Narrowed it down to 2 choices

Toonces

I've read a lot about both the CL aqualight PC 1x96 W quad and the CSL PC with moonlite on here but I can't determine which is better than the other. I know that you have more control over the CSL because of the 3 power cords, and I also like the moonlite, but the CL Quad is stronger and cheaper. I'm very new to the reef game, so I really don't know what I'll want to keep down the road, but I'm sure starting off with soft corals and shrooms and the like will be fine for awhile. But, I don't want to limit myself down the road either! Help!!!

Such a hard choice. Why not let the price or look of the units decide? Does the CS have a built in fan like the aqualight does? That may be something to consider. 96 watts may be hard to look at in a dark room, that would be VERY bright. I just put a 65 watt 24" Aqualight over my ten gallon and it certainly looks sufficient.

Jeff

I would not compare the two. The 96watter is just soooo much more light than the 2x32watt from CSL. Perhaps a DIY 3x36watt fixture is in order...now we have a competition!!!

Originally posted by wetworx101

Perhaps a DIY 3x36watt fixture is in order...now we have a competition!!!

Thats what I'm running. Everything is from

AH Supply (great reflectors!). I was able to

shoehorn a dual 36w reflector and a single

36w reflector for my 10gallon DIY hood.

I've got a 10K, Actinc and a 6500K in there. The

65K is going to be swapped out for a 50/50 next bulb replacment. I'm probably going to see what

(3) 36w 50/50's are like when I place that order.

My next project is to work in an LED moonlight.

greggl, I was curious to see your setup as I have a 2x36watter and had been thinking about upping to a 96w, or even MH's. From your WWW button, what web page is that?!?! I didn't see a link to your nano right off the bat.

I may look into cramming another 36w'er into the hood on my 10g. Plus I'm checking into moon lamps myself. Are there pic's of your tank handy?

Originally posted by SeaMountain

I may look into cramming another 36w'er into the hood on my 10g. Plus I'm checking into moon lamps myself. Are there pic's of your tank handy?

I wanted to actually get some coral in the

tank before putting the thing online, but

I guess I can snap some photos and start

documenting the system. It's been going

with live rock, detrivores and blue damsels

for the past 3 months.

I'm pretty happy with the lights, but

when it comes down to it, I've got MH

envy. I get some very minimal water lines

and would like more ;) If I were to do

it over, I'd go MH.

Having said that, I'm already in the planning

stages of a 60"x16"12" tank that will be VHO

lit. MH on this tank might be an option, but

its sooo long, the cost appears to be an issue.

I've got 'one more tank' syndrome bad :)

Originally posted by greggl

I've got 'one more tank' syndrome bad :)

OMT Syndrome!?!? WTF is THAT?!?! :D

I have another AGA 10g still in it's new wraps waiting to be drilled and swapped out with my current 10g. The plan is to swap the LS/LR/Critters/Corals into the drilled out tank and convert the existing one into a 'fuge.

Then I have a 7MiniBow too - yes in it's box still!

Now I'm procrastinating a 2.5 or a 5 here in my office. o that makes at least 4 tanks in the works!

I just WISH I could only have the "One More Tank" syndrome! ;)

Plaster a pic up when you can gregg!

Archived