Top Shelf Aquatics

Live Sand - Storage?

audrey

I need to take my tank down for a few months, already got rid of the livestock and rock.

Any suggestions on how to keep the live sand usable? It is just the kind you get in a 20# bag. I am thinking of either:

1. keeping it in a bucket with a lid, or

2. letting it dry out and then when I want to use it again, "seed" it with real live sand.

bump

1. peeeyew! :x if you do that make sure you have a ph moving the water at least.

2. probably easier/cheaper to just 'let it go' and start again later with LS.

altho imo good fresh LR is better than LS for providing bio-diversity/seeding. otoh, i think established LS probably processes better than established LR.

Why not go to your LFS and make a deal....you give them your 20# of nice established LS now and it will help their bio-diversity, and then when you set up your tank, you get your 20# back (well, a different 20#, but 20# of something!). Get it in writing!

I agree with tinyreef that keeping it in a bucket might get stinky...as your live sand becomes dead sand. If you can keep the bucket alive, that would be best. I mean you do have the equipment to do it...but then in that case, you might as well not take your tank apart at all! Maybe a powerhead and a small light will be all you need?

V

give it to a local store and get it back when you need it. don't take the prebagged crap back in return.

or simply ditch it and get new sand when you need it. buy southdown and seed it with cups from other tanks.

Archived