ReefCleaners.org

how many fish, and what combo?

Ascensive

my tank is about done cycling, finally. i am ready to start adding fish to my 10g aquarium, in another week or so. i know i want a skunk cleaner shrimp, and three fish. a small pair of percula clown fish, and a watchman goby, or a clown goby, those half yellow and purple fish dont look too bad either. sorry forgot the name. my problem is. is that too many fish. shrimp, 2 clowns, and a goby? i know the less the better, but is that amount pretty common for 10 gallon tanks? in your thoughts, if this amount is fine, what would be better, the clown goby, watchman goby, or that purple/yellow fish?

do clown fish live happily the same way with a host, in a pair, or alone?

Personally, i think having 3 fishes in ur 10g is stretchin it a lil.....don't get me wrong, i'm sure some ppl have done it. It really depends on how you're going to handle the bio load. If you've either got a Protein Skimmer attachment to aid in the removal of the high nitrates or a fuge to add to the volume of water in ur system...then u might be able to pull it off but then there's the other arguement of having that many fishes in such a small space...sure they'd live but would they be happy? (ie. would u be happy living in a room ur whole life)

Maybe try it out with small clowns and gobies....but you might want to consider moving them when they've grown a lil too big for the tank. Oh and i think the half purple and yellow fish you were refering to is called a bicolor blenny...they're pretty cute (i'm planning on getting one myself) but was told that they hide alot but look kinda cute popping in and outta crevices in the rock work.

lastly, if you do decide to go with the three fishes i suggest you phase them out a little and not add all in at one time...perhaps go with the bicolor blenny or goby first....let ur system acustom itself to the increased bioload first..

ps. were you planning on keeping corals with this setup? i guess i shoulda asked this question first....if it's just a FOWLR setup, you should be alrite....well, good luck with it....

Hey,

I think the purple/yellow fish you might be looking for would be a Royal Gramma. In terms of real estate in the fish tank, he would be okay because he basically stays in one cave, but he does get to be around 3 inches when he is mature which would put a bit of a strain on your bioload if you go with 2 other fish. I personally like what I hear about clown gobies and I hope to get a pair after my 20L is set up next week. The watchman goby is bigger and would take up more bioload.

In regards to your clownfish question most clownfish do well alone without an anemone or a partner. I would recommend a tank raised specimen. HTH,

JC

i bought a purple dottyback today. very curious fish, staring at things, swimming backwards, and darting back and forth. ill later get a cleaner shrimp, and ONE more fish before i'm done with the fish portion of the tank. i am leaning towards a clown fish. thanks for the help with the fish number and the fish names.

jAy

No prob bob ^_^

I hope I didn't turn you off of the bicolor blenny. I have never had one, but they have always been entertaining when i've seen them in my LFS tanks =]

nah, you didnt turn me off. while i was at the store i realized that there is a damsel that doesnt look way too far off from the royal gramma either, so i decided if i wanted that color i could get the damsel, but i dont want a damsel...but i did want those colors...then i saw the purple dottyback, and its nosy, quick and it moves all over and then floats, perfectly still and the color is stunning...had to get it.

jAy

Archived