Cultivated Reef

RO/DI Installation Tips

jsn124

Hey folks,

I searched the forums for various keywords on RO/DI unit installation but I couldn't find one that matched my question.

I just got a new Kent RO/DI unit and I'm trying to install it under my sink. On the cold water valve under the sink there is a stainless steel connection that I'd like to hook the unit into. I have attached a picture of exactly what I am talking about:

Sorry for the bright photo.. its all white under there.

Thankfully the steel cable still had the original label on it. It says: 3/8" OD x 1/2" FIP.

I'm guessing that the female brass end is made to fit a male diameter is 3/8". Not sure what FIP is... Female ???

Ideally I'd like to get some sort of T-bypass valve where the stainless cable goes in one end and my Kent goes in the other so I don't have to unscrew the stainless steel cable every time I want to make new RO/DI water.

Anyone here with experience that can help me out?

Thanks!

Needreefunds

feedadapter.jpg

This is a pic from filter direct of the adapter I got with my RODI. It connected at the faucet end of that braided line you show.

( fitting to faucet / braided line to fitting )

HTH

:)

My RO/DI came with a T valve to screw in exactly there. Dunno what to say if you don't have one other then see if HD or Lowes or something has one. One word of caution on the install. The PVC you will drill for the drain line is VERY soft! I went real slow to start the bit, gave it a bit of gas and ZIP! right through the other side. Be very gentle with the drill on that hole. Or eliminate the problem and run the drain to the pool or something.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look, the pic in the post above is exactly what I have, not a T valve.

Needreefunds: that is exactly what I need! I'm sure I can find this online somewhere. Any hints on where I might?

necigrad: thanks for the feedback. Actually this is in the bathroom sink and my plan was to just place the waste water line into the tub (literally right next to the sink). I was also going to place my container in there just in case of overflow.

I only have a 20G so I was planning on just making water weekly and storing it for the week.

Thanks again for the feedback!

masterbuilder

Look up plumbing supply stores in the yellow pages. A common part, they will have it. Take a copy of the pic and just lay it on the counter, point and say "gimme one of these".

Needreefunds
Needreefunds: that is exactly what I need! I'm sure I can find this online somewhere. Any hints on where I might?

If unable to find locally you can try here filter direct ebay store

I didn't see it listed separately, but shoot them an email or ask them e question via ebay. I'm sure they can hook you up.

Happy hunting and good luck. ;)

Archived