inTank Media Baskets

Drilling Glass

REEFBUG

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I searched and could not find anything. Can't imagine this has not been discussed extensively.

I want to drill a tank, seems pretty basic, have a diamond tipped hole saw. I was planning on using my drill press for accuracy and control. The problem I am thinking about is the bit says you should drill at a speed of 160 RPM, and my drill press only goes down to 620 RPM. Too large a difference for me to continue without some advice from those experienced. Thanks.

Chris

i used my dremel... the secret is to go slow and let the bit do the work... apply as little pressure as possible... and keep it wet

chickendude10

+1^^

I recently drilled a 10gal with ebay bits. Using a drill press might be hard to guage how much pressure you are actually applying to the glass. I found it's best to let the drill-bit etch its way through the glass with little downward pressure. I think the speed of the press will be fine. My only concern would be when the bit is about to break through it sometimes can catch an edge and crack if its spinning too fast.

Use a handheld drill with the holesaw. That way you can feel how much pressure you are applying. As the others have implied that is important. Also, you can set the clutch to the lowest setting so that if the bit catches it will stop rather than powering through it and causing something unfortunate.

Also, be sure to put duct tape on the opposite side of the hole. This will reduce the amount of "mooning" when the hole pops out the other side. I drilled mine outside with a hand drill. Tape a hose to the tank and keep the water running slowly over the area you are drilling to keep it cool and wash away the particles.

A drill press isnt a good idea. You need to start drilling on a 45 degree angle to get a grove started. Using a drill press would go to fast and be rather dangerous.

I disagree with the 45 degree angle method. Although some have been sucessful with this method I still think it's rather risky as the bit can still skid across the tank if you aren't VERY careful. Instead, I used a wood hole saw and drilled a hole in a piece of plywood and used that as a template until the groove was started.

The 45 degree method is difficult. I had the drill skip on me when I was trying to start the hole. Fortunately it skipped and scuffed up the area within the plug of glass I was drilling out. Did you secure the plywood to the tank? I'm trying to get my head around that because it seems like a good idea but I can just imagine the wood and holesaw moving together once you start into the glass. Also, how did you keep the area you were drilling wet with plywood over it?

The 45 degree method is difficult. I had the drill skip on me when I was trying to start the hole. Fortunately it skipped and scuffed up the area within the plug of glass I was drilling out. Did you secure the plywood to the tank? I'm trying to get my head around that because it seems like a good idea but I can just imagine the wood and holesaw moving together once you start into the glass. Also, how did you keep the area you were drilling wet with plywood over it?

I cut 2 smaller pieces and used them as a platform to support my template. Then, when I tapped the hose to the tank the water was able to run under the template and over the drilling area. The hole in the wood is slightly larger than the drill bit so it doesn't grab. I just used duct tape to hole the template in place till I had a good groove.

You guys must of not had a strong grip on the drill. I drilled 4 holes and never had the skipping problem. If the drill ever started to twist I just throttled off a bit. The main thing here is to keep the bit wet and it will add enough lubrication that the bit will not catch hold and skip around.

You guys must of not had a strong grip on the drill. I drilled 4 holes and never had the skipping problem. If the drill ever started to twist I just throttled off a bit. The main thing here is to keep the bit wet and it will add enough lubrication that the bit will not catch hold and skip around.

I built a wall around the hole with plumber's putty, filled it with water, and had water siphoning out of a bucket into it. It was plenty wet. Seeing it was the first time I had ever drilled a hole, I was very careful, held on tight, and it still skipped when the bit touched the glass. Once the groove was cut it was fine though.

Archived