Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calculating Ratios

diverrk

Ok call me Math retarded, but I am trying to figure out how to calculate a ratio. For instance 5 grams ( 1 teaspoon) to 40 gal How would I calculate for 1 gallon . I am considering usin Seachem Buffer to help with PH level

Thanks

Rich

Ok call me Math retarded, but I am trying to figure out how to calculate a ratio. For instance 5 grams ( 1 teaspoon) to 40 gal How would I calculate for 1 gallon . I am considering usin Seachem Buffer to help with PH level

Thanks

Rich

Divide by forty

.125 grams per gallon

lakshwadeep

Think of it like this ratio:

5 grams

40 gallons

to get one gallon on the denominator, you would divide by forty, so you divide by forty for the entire fraction:

5 grams ÷40

40 gallons ÷40

Which will be 5/40ths of a gram for one gallon

Think of it like this ratio:

5 grams

40 gallons

to get one gallon on the denominator, you would divide by forty, so you divide by forty for the entire fraction:

5 grams ÷40

40 gallons ÷40

Which will be 5/40ths of a gram for one gallon

.125 is 1/8

You are correct, BUT It is one teaspoon. The answer is .125 Grams, teaspoons would be too much

lakshwadeep
Check your math

You're right, I forgot that one teaspoon is 5 grams, so it would have been 1/40th of a teaspoon.

You are correct, BUT It is one teaspoon. The answer is .125 Grams, teaspoons would be too much

Sorry, I've edited my post to the correct answers.

You're right, I forgot that one teaspoon is 5 grams, so it would have been 1/40th of a teaspoon.

I didn't mean to argue, just wanted to make sure that this guy didn't add too much too his tank.

lakshwadeep
I didn't mean to argue, just wanted to make sure that this guy didn't add too much too his tank.

Don't worry, I was getting a little argumentative when trying to point out that .125 is 1/8 :blush:

Anyway, diverrk: Why do you think you'll need a pH buffer? How low is your pH?

Well right now I'm waiting for a test kit I ordered, but I used test strips that I have (for Salt Water) and it's reading around 7.5

Thanks for all your replies !

lakshwadeep

That's good you're getting a test kit. Test strips can be less accurate/reliable. Also, remember that pH can drop to low levels during the night (I've heard 7.9), so you may want to test at different times in the day.

Archived