Cultivated Reef

clown fish looking pale

shermantt2001

shermantt2001

I put my first percula clown fish into my cycled 7 gal tank. Initially it seemed scared, and kept to it self on the 1st day. 2nd day was better and was lively and swam everywhere. I tried to feed it flakes but it would not eat it. Finally on the 4th day, i noticed his face started to turn slightly pale/white looking.

I did a water change on the 5th day, cause it was the end of the week. I did test for ph, NH3, etc before the change and it was normal.

Question : Do you think it is some disease or he is hungry and needs different type of food like brine or pellets ?

any suggestions would be helpfull.

thks...

It could be nutritional; they require a quality (yet varied) diet. I’d be surprised if it didn’t eat Formula One frozen; I use the flat sheets because it’s easier to break off small amounts. I also use Formula One and Two pellets (which I have to break up for my small clown). Finally, I feed Prime Reef flakes. Ocean Nutrition manufactures all of these foods. Note that this is what I do, but there are numerous diets that can be successful. It’s not unusual for a new fish to not feed, but once they get going, clownfish seem to eat anything. I’d try some frozen (thawed) to get it to start feeding.

Are you using RO/DI water with a good salt mix? What’s the SG; how about the other parameters? Don’t feed it brine, because they are lacking in nutritional value (at least for clowns). Are there any other symptoms?

shermantt2001

I'll try Formula One frozen and see how it goes, thanks for the info.

Im using RO/DI water with Ocean Salt mix i believe. SG is 1.023, NH3 and NO2 is 0, while NO3 is about 5 ppm, while P04 is 0 ppm. So chemically the water seems fine. But i haven't noticed any symptoms that I am aware of.

I'll let you know how it goes ....

shermantt2001

well my LFS didnt have any formula one, so i bought the brine shrimp. And viola, he was eating it like crazy. So maybe that was it.

I left it for a few hrs, and noticed his face started to turn back to its original color ;)

Archived