Pod Your Reef

10G tank, no fuge; what skimmer to use?

elitesurfer

Why not do the worlds smallest skimmer but double the dimensions ???

I want to try but I need to read ti over and over to fully understand it but if you can get it built you'll save a good amount of money.

I just bought the rio nano skimmer,at premium aquatics for the closeout price of 14.50, I am still trying to adjust it,it has been 48 hours,and should be broke in,it does work,but there is a micro bubble issue you can slow down,by adding some floss or sponge to the outlet. I really cant say if it is great yet,but for 14.50 I will give it a try!!! B)

I wouldn't worry about skimming a 10. There's really not that much bioload to justify. I'm running a 10 without a skimmer. You just have to keep up on your water changes and it will be fine.

sunshine&bigfoot

I also think that you don't really NEED a skimmer. If you are planning on keeping sps then you might want to go ahead and get a skimmer to help maintain the prisine water conditions. I don't use skimmers, I just usually mod filters into a fuge with macro algae and LR rubble to help with nutrients. I also run filter floss half of the time to help with some of the scum.

If you still want to go with one, I have friends that use and love both the remora and the tunze

I am using the Rio Nano Skimmer and love it. I've replaced the Rio Cartridge with the Aquaclear Quick Filter Replacement Cartridge and all microbubbles are gone and the pads are easy to find at LFS at $2.99 for two. It has a large holding tank so I can go a week easily without dumping it. Quality is good and for the price you can't beat it. There are definately better skimmers but for the price nothing can touch it. I wouldn't think twice about getting another.

Steve

i honestly wouldnt go with the big al's one

i also have a bak pak and its really good.

this also works great:

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageA...&ProdID=245

Woooo that looks good. I'm going to give this a try for sure.

Steve

I have the Rio Nano Skimmer and was using it on a 30g aquarium while curing some live rock. It pulled out plenty of gunk for a $15 skimmer. I know that the rule is usually to buy the best from the beginning to save money in the long-run, but I really suggest that you spend $15 on the Rio and give it a try before spending $100+ on a Remora or Tunze. I am running 12g aquapod without a skimmer and successfully keeping SPS simply by using a refugium, chemipure, ROWAphos, doing weekly water changes, and feeding 2-3 times a week.

If you are using a standard 10g tank, I think that a Aquaclear modded into a refugium and a Phosban Reactor would be perfect.

I am using the Rio Nano Skimmer and love it. I've replaced the Rio Cartridge with the Aquaclear Quick Filter Replacement Cartridge and all microbubbles are gone and the pads are easy to find at LFS at $2.99 for two. It has a large holding tank so I can go a week easily without dumping it. Quality is good and for the price you can't beat it. There are definately better skimmers but for the price nothing can touch it. I wouldn't think twice about getting another.

Steve

Did you use just the replaceable covers,or the whole adapter for the powerhead?

Woooo that looks good. I'm going to give this a try for sure.

Steve

Does anybody have any expeience with this Skimmer. I don't think I need one for my 10 gallon build - but I'll be needing a Skimmer when I upgrade to a 50. The price on this skimmer looks pretty attractive.

there is actually a huge thread over at RC about the aquatraders/odyssea skimmers.

thread starts here

Go to page 7 and see pics of the new, not broken-in, no mods odyssea vs. tunze

I have a rio, took a bit to get tuned then stopped producing.

I took it completely apart, scrubbed it down, removed that little plastic thing on the inside on the intake tube and it seemed to work a little better. going to replace it (eventually) with a odyssea

elitesurfer

I got a used Rio atm. I think it's doing fine and ofc I can notice the bubbles issue. Guess I'll try to put floss in there. It does work well and I guess I'll add a fish soon.

Archived