Innovative Marine Aquariums

Additives

soundcrd

As I'm sure everyone here is aware, there are, by my last thoroughly scientific count, approximately 975,423 different additives out there for people to add to their saltwater aquariums. My question is: how many really matter? Calcium and alkalinity I'll give you, but after that...? Thoughts? Preferences on different brands?

lakshwadeep

A 2-part calcium/alk additive like B-Ionic should have all the necessary major/minor trace elements needed. You shouldn't have anything more to add, and even B-Ionic is unnecessary for keeping just soft corals.

Never dose for anything you aren't testing for.

Most of your needs are going to be met with routine maintenace - water changes. I didn't get into B-Ionic or anything else for that matter until I got into more demanding corals.

lakshwadeep

Sorry, Pickle's right about the necessity of testing everything you want to dose. If you see that calcium is getting too low between weekly water changes, then you may want to start dosing. This will happen if you have many stony corals.

If you test Ca+, Alk, Salinity, Iodine/-ide/-ate, and Mg, you will be fine.

Get yourself some B-Ionic, some lugol's Iodine, and some Mg supplement (i like ESV's) and you have all the supplements you will ever need, IME.

lakshwadeep

Also, I've heard of many large SPS tank owners regularly dosing amino acids for their corals. I'm not sure if there's any standardized method, yet.

What about "Kent Marine Nano-Reef" part A & B?

I bought it (sigh) because the LFS said I needed it (sigh)... It says 8 drops per 4 gallons. I only put 4 drops in my water change, just to give it something.

"NanoReef Part A contains calcium, magnesium, strontium, iron, and many other important elements. When used with NanoReef Part B, it provides all necessary major, minor, and trace ions in proper ratios to maintain proper water parameters in nano reefs and other small reef systems"

i used Kent Nano for about a year.. i was very pleased with it... note: never dose what the bottle recommends.. i dose about half of that that...

Archived