Cultivated Reef

Do aptasia move? (and other anenome questions)

NanoJunkee

Does anyone know if aptasia move like other anenomes do? I've noticed a couple on my LR (set up 7 gal minibow 2 weeks ago today) and they seem to stay in the same place. I'll get a couple of peppermint shrimp in a week or so...I'm done cycling, but I want to let it run for a while.

I also have noticed a couple of other small anenomes, definitely not aptasia because I can see stripes on the tentacles, and they seem to truck around alot. (I watched the smaller one take a ride on the current and set up shop on the other side of the tank!) Does this sound like a familiar species to anyone? I tried to get pics, but they're too small to pick up with my camera. (about 1-1/2")

I want corals, so I know I probably won't be able to keep these guys long term...but I wonder if I should be feeding them something in the meantime. There are plenty of copepods swimming around and crawling on the glass, so maybe there's enough sustenance in there already?

bump

aiptasias move and they move quick. i've 'clocked' one moving over an inch an hour over a surface (pvc coupling).

need a pic for the other anemone. sounds like aipt to me tho.

Archived