inTank Media Baskets

closed loop pump

gregbot9000

gregbot9000

looking for a good closed loop pump(600-700gph) for my 20h build. need opinions please!

mag-7, ive run one before, didn't like it to much, sounded it was gonna break..

eheim 1260, never used before. heard they were awesome..but expensive

ocean runner2500, have one one on my skimmer seems alright..

any others im missing? or could i go with a smaller gph?

-greg

Usually a pump that is built to run externally would work best. Once you take head loss into account that mag 7 will probably be putting less than 500 into your tank and that does go far when it is spread out for 2 holes. I would aim for a 1500gph pump at least. I have a 1200gph after head loss for my closed loop and I wish I would have used something large. BTW this is on a 26 gallon. Good luck with your decision.

filefish949

I just got an OR 2500, I like it because it is very energy efficient and will add less heat into your tank than most any other comparable pump, just be careful with part #17, they break if you over torque them

+1 on Eheim and Ocean Runners. OR's are a bit bigger and just a tiny little bit louder than Eheim's ime. Both are great.

A bit more than what you need, but I've heard on this board that the Pan World X-X series are extremely quiet and good.

BTW, there are virtually no head losses on a closed loop system. There will be some efficiency losses from 90deg bends, but not as severe as you think.

• 3 weeks later...

Panworld/Blueline pumps are good. I use one on my closed loop.

looking for a good closed loop pump(600-700gph) for my 20h build. need opinions please!

mag-7, ive run one before, didn't like it to much, sounded it was gonna break..

eheim 1260, never used before. heard they were awesome..but expensive

ocean runner2500, have one one on my skimmer seems alright..

any others im missing? or could i go with a smaller gph?

-greg

• 4 weeks later...

eheim 100% You get what you pay for :happy: its not like a lucky dip which i find with alot of other cheap made in china brands out there which u will find 1 out of 5 pumps are rattley heaps of crap that dont perform right .....but i cant vouch for ocean runner or any of the other seem to be good you beaut brands out there ..... all though..... i heard eheim arent made in germany anymore anyway so go figure :rolleyes:

fw2sw-wannabe
eheim 100% You get what you pay for :happy: its not like a lucky dip which i find with alot of other cheap made in china brands out there which u will find 1 out of 5 pumps are rattley heaps of crap that dont perform right .....but i cant vouch for ocean runner or any of the other seem to be good you beaut brands out there ..... all though..... i heard eheim arent made in germany anymore anyway so go figure :rolleyes:

Hey, Pship, you got a pm... I may have your pump!

I have a PanWorld. They are NOT quiet.

For the size you are looking for I don't think you can go wrong with either Ocean Runner or Eheim. I also have an Eheim 1260 and it's silent.

Spend the money and get a good pump. If you need to replace a bad pump you'll be spending more than if you just bought the good one up front.

Here's the calcuator you can use to figure out gph. Just remember that because it's a closed loop you leave the verticle length at 0 because it's a non-factor

Head loss calc

Archived