SaltCritters.com

What kind of addictives to use?

Phish

What I just wrote, I need to know what kind of addictives to add for a reef tank. I am not sure but I think it is calles 'Dosing' right?

Westminister, eh .:

Hmm, depends on the corals.

If your just keeping mostly sofies, then you don't really need anything.

If your keeping LPS/SPS then some alk/calcium additive should be used to get it up and keep it there.

If you have filter feeders such as gorgonians & feather dusters, then use somthin like that marine snow or kent micro vert.

I only use a alk/calcium additive since I only have a torch, hammer, & candycane coral, (as well as xenia, shrooms, ricordia, zoos, and polyps)

Would the marinesnow benefit Caulastrea, Xenia or Frogspawn?

Right now I just have a few Candy cane frags, but ordered some Marinesnow to feed the guys..

-moore

I have been talking to a few people at LFS stores and they are now recomending the Kent Marine stuff over the Marine Snow (which I felt was a decent product)

anyone able to make a distinction in which they feel is better?

what kind of addictives to add for a reef tank
freudian slip :D

b-ionic two-part ca/alk (for the sps and coralline)

lugol's iodine ('cause i'm curious what the lethal dose is : )

just about everything kent makes ('cause i get shakes if i don't dose daily X) )

you only things you 'need' are the chemicals being used up thru the normal bio-processes of the system that are not replenished sufficiently thru wc's (if you even do wc's that is).

And I'll Ask it on this thread.......

What have you found to be the best filter feeding diet that is wrapped all into one? I know that DT's is Phyto, but what do you feel is the best zooplankton and/or the best two in one? Does anyone even make them both in one? Is that what Marine Snow is supposed to be?

Let me know, My corals are hungry.

here ya go...Marine Snow is manufactured by Two little fishies...

MarineSnowTM Plankton DietTM 473 ml (16 oz.) Net Wt. 475 g - A Natural Planktonic Food for Filter Feeding Marine Invertebrates. This first of its kind product reproduces the special colloidal biogenic suspended matter found in natural seawater. These colloids, collectively called "marine snow" by ocean researchers, are known to be an important element in the food chain of marine ecosystems.

MarineSnowTM is a natural planktonic food for filter feeding marine invertebrates. This first of its kind product reproduces the special colloidal biogenic suspended matter found in natural seawater. These colloids, collectively called "marine snow" by ocean researchers, are known to be an important element in the food chain of marine ecosystems. They have been a missing element in closed system aquaria until now. MarineSnowTM meets the special needs of tropical coral reef and cold water marine animals that feed on particulate and dissolved organic matter, phytoplankton and zooplankton. The formula for MarineSnowTM is based on natural components of ocean plankton, does not contain yeast or egg solids, and is blended to provide food packages of the right size range for filter feeders. The formula includes suspended microscopic particles ranging in size from under 20 microns up to 150 microns, and the colloidal clumps formed when it mixes with seawater are macroscopic. Ideal food for soft and stony corals, anemones, hydrozoans, feather duster worms, clams, crinoids (feather stars), sponges, tunicates (sea squirts), foraminiferans, and other filter feeders. Shrimps, brittle stars and even fishes will eat MarineSnowTM colloids. MarineSnowTM therefore replicates plankton feeding behaviors for these creatures.

Go to reefs.org , look in the library section...they've got got scientific studies on various commercially available plankton diets out on the market. And they aren't overly kind to Marine Snow. The best stuff I've found to use is DT's for the phyto component and Golden Pearls (made by Brine Shrimp Direct) for the zoo component. Both can get pricey..but if you want the best....

Of course..if you don't have filter-feeding coral (most LPS corals take larger pieces of food and most softies work by direct nutrient uptake [nitrates and the like]) these foods aren't going to do you much good..and could end up harming the tank with pollution. The only corals I'd really worry about "feeding" are LPS and SPS (with the filter feeder food for the SPS and meaty foods for the LPS)...most softies are good on light and the dissolved nutrients already in your tank.

Archived