Coral Vue Hydros

Skimmer vs Filter

WilD

I added a HOB Skimmer in place of a HOB Filter a few months back, and I really haven't seen any improvement. It does pull out a bit of scum into the collection cup but mechanical filtration seemed to help as well when the filter was running. The biggest advantage of the filter was that it allowed a good way to run carbon. For this reason alone, I am thinking I might go back to the filter. The fact that the filter is so much quieter is also appealing. I don't want to run both. Anyone else struggle with these decisions? Thoughts?

This is pertaining to my standard 20 gallon. Only inhabitants are two smaller clowns and a peppermint shrimp (besides small cleanup crew and coral). The skimmer is a CPR PakBak 2R.

Why did you go with a skimmer? And you have seen no improvement in what aspect of your tank?

Excellent question. Before I added the skimmer, I had noticed some hair algae growth and some of my zoas stopped looking as good as they had been. I thought it might be a water quality issue and that there might be too much waste(nutrients) in the water. So, I decided to try a skimmer. I still have a hair algae problem and my zoas still don't open up like the used to and no longer have long skirts. I did lose a couple zoa frags as well, the just slowly melted away. I have never seen anything bad in a nitrate test though.

I keep zoas, leathers, GSP, xenia, mushrooms, and have an acan and trumpet. Everything has done well with the exception of the zoas. GSP has taken over a large portion of the rock structure, the leathers have been looking fantastic, the xenia is spreading, etc. The LPS are looking good and growing as well. I have been moving away from zoas and have sold several frags in the last week, as well as a leather and some mushrooms. Trying to thin things out and simplify.

... some of my zoas stopped looking as good as they had been.

Did you try iodine dipping them?

I thought it might be a water quality issue and that there might be too much waste(nutrients) in the water. So, I decided to try a skimmer.

Skimmers may or may not help GHA. They remove hydrophobic compounds (and particles) from the water which may or may not contain the PO4 that fuels GHA.

Unless you are heavily feeding, I don't see a need for a skimmer in your tank. I would try dipping the zoas (1 drop lugols into one cup of tank water for 2 min) then give them a week or two and see if they improve.

EDIT: Where is your PO4 coming from? Your change water or topoff water? Food?

Archived