SaltCritters.com

My GSP came home with a friend

Frank B

Four or five weeks ago I purchased a tennis ball sized rock of GSP. Anyway, over the last few weeks I noticed that everything else in the tank would be opened and healthy looking but every once in a while the GSP would remain totally closed. I tested all of my water parameters everything is perfect. So today I was feeding my tank when I noticed the top part of the rock, where the GSP has encrusted, shift downwards. Hmmm... I searched the tank hoping it wasn't a mantis because earlier this week I saw a couple dust clouds in the GSP's general vicinity. Well, luckiliy no Mantis but I did find out something interesting about my GSP. The rock that its attached to is not actually a rock but it's somethhing kind of mollusk. I'm not sure of the exact species I don't know if anyone would know because of how enrusted the shell is with the polyps. Does anyone here think that this is anything to worry about? Has anyone else ever purchased a rock that was actually a clam? I'll try and get some pics or it later. It is pretty interesting though and pretty cool because now I have a clam in my tank and it came in as a hitchhiker, a pretty big hitchhiker.

Thanks,

Frank

10 gallon Perfecto

JBJ Desktop Formosa 2x36 watt PC 1x10K and 1xActinic

Aquaclear 150 (no media)

Aquaclear 301

Ebo-Jager 50 watt TS heater

20 lbs. Arag-Alive

14 lbs. Fiji live rock

8 Nassarius Snails

3 Turbo Snails

4 Margarita snails

4 Red legged Hermits

4 Blue legged hermits but only one is accounted for

6 assorted Mushrooms w/ babies popping up

3 Metallic Green Hairy Mushrooms

1 yellow polyp/ pink cented brown zoo combo rock

1 Green Button polyp rock

1 Green and Brown zoo frag

1 sm Brown star polyp rock

1 sm/med Green star polyp encrusted mollusk

1 sky blue/green Candy Cane Frag w/ 3 heads

serjuanca88

I bought 30 pounds of Gulf view live rock last year. It came with about 15 clam/mollusks. I pulled about 10 of them off and left the rest. They didnt seem to do anything bad.

They might be hogging phyto from your corals. I'm not sure about that though.

I actually have 2 small mollusks that are attached to a piece of live rock in my tank. Its a very interesting sight. At first I just thought it was a piece of rock until I tapped the tank's glass and they shut with quickness.

The mollusk in my tank is roughly the size of a tennis ball. It is funny that serjuanca88 mentioned it hogging all of the phyto from the corals because I really didn't start noticing my GSP not opening up until recently when I started dosing with DT's. I just hope that it won't keep my GSP from opening up. I guess that since the mollusk has always been there that it won't hurt them.

Peace,

Frank

10 gallon Perfecto

JBJ Desktop Formosa 2x36 watt PC 1x10K and 1xActinic

Aquaclear 150 (no media)

Aquaclear 301

Ebo-Jager 50 watt TS heater

20 lbs. Arag-Alive

14 lbs. Fiji live rock

8 Nassarius Snails

3 Turbo Snails

4 Margarita snails

4 Red legged Hermits

4 Blue legged hermits but only one is accounted for

6 assorted Mushrooms w/ babies popping up

3 Metallic Green Hairy Mushrooms

1 yellow polyp/ pink cented brown zoo combo rock

1 Green Button polyp rock

1 Green and Brown zoo frag

1 sm Brown star polyp rock

1 sm/med Green star polyp encrusted mollusk

1 sky blue/green Candy Cane Frag w/ 3 heads

When the molusk closes rapidly like they do it is starteling the gsps and they close up. Neat though that you got gsps on a molusk. When they close rapidly they are expeling water and filtering it at the same time. so when you dose your phyto it is probably opening and closing quite often and keeping the gsps closed during feedings.

Unless u dose some phyto, DT or otherwise...and other filter feeders are going well in your tank, then I would suggest killing the mollusk and pulling the purple mat of GSP's and gluing to another rock...

in a nano, a mollusk the size of a tennis ball dieing would cause a big water pollution possiblity....

if u are adament and religious about dosing filter foods and carefully monitor the mollusks condition and actually care for it, then leave it alone... the harm gsp's get from sudden movements of the mollusk is probably minimal, since i have shirmps and crabs and snails walking all over my gsp's and they still grow like weeds....

if otherwise u want to err on the side of caution, i'd get rid of the insides of the mollusk (break open the mollusk and scrape out the insides) and either leave the GSP on the dead shell, or transplant it to another rock....

those are your two options...

Archived