Innovative Marine Aquariums

Leathers in peril?

dharned

I bought this little frag from my LFS yesterday evening. It has 2 growths of pink leather coral, a small feather duster, and some kind of yellow growth for $15.

080903b.jpg

They told me I didnt need to float it and just drop it in. Well... this morning, the leather coral is LIMP. The smaller of the two is a little limp, but the larger one seems to be showing its skeleton? At least I think its the skeleton as they look like brown pores/rings.

So, Is the Leather on its way to death? The feather duster is fine as long as the hermits leave it alone. Had to knock one off of it this morn. The little beastards.

Can I save the leathers? What's the yellow stuff?

they should be fine. they just need to get used to the system and the photoperiod you've set. give them a couple of days and make sure they have at least a little water flow/current. (1"~2"/sec)

the yellow stuff is a sponge.

the leather's (looks like capnella frags) skeleton (spicule) is really too small to see without a microscope. more likely you're talking about its polyps.

the acclimation of corals can be contentious. some people think they don't need to be acclimated while others do. imo they do, regardless of origin and time of travel. some corals are very sensitive to water parameter changes (salinity, pH, temp., lighting, etc.) so i think it's better to be safe (and acclimate all corals) than be sorry. hth

Archived