Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kent Nano Reef Supplement A & B

Dnuts82

What is everyones opinion about this supplement.....i'm thinking about starting to use it. Currently i dose everything separate.

SeeDemTails

It stinks I have used it, stay away from kent products.

ESV B-ionic is a much better product for ca/alk maintenance.

Also, dont even think about starting a 2 part until you have either API or Salifert Calcium and Alkalinity tests....Otherwise dosing is simply rulett.

SeeDemTails

Yes. It keeps the levels much more stable, with smaller doses.

I had to add a ton of kent to keep it stable like 25 ml a day! I only use 18 ml a day of esv. Not a big difference for each dose, but the ESV lasts considerably longer.

besides the amount of liquid are there any other positives?

I mean, I have a 14 gallon so I am barely putting any in, but if the ESV holds params more stable then that is a no brainer.

I agree with the replies.

You must start with a good base, good saltwater that is, and dose to maintain, and not the other way around, by starting with bad saltwater, and dosing to fix it.

with kent (tech CB, I think it is the same thing as kent nano reef, if you look at instructions, tech CB says to add 10ml per 40 gal, kent nano instructions says to add 1ml per 4 gal), I did not notice any differece at all following the instructions, but recently, I gave it another try, by doubling the suggested dosage, and do see some effect. So if you already got the kent product and not seeing any difference, perhaps try increasing the dosage.

I WOUULDNT KNOCK kENT'S AB RIGHT AWAY.. ITS ACTUALLY A VERY GOOD PRODUCT.. IM SURE THE BIONIC HAS THE EDGE ON IT..BUT I WOULDNT SAY DONT USE IT.. IVE USED IT FOR OVER A YEAR NANO AB AND HAVE NOT SEEN ANY ILL EFFECTS FROM IT. MY PARAMS WHERE STABLE... MY ENTIRE BACK WALL FILTERS AND ETC.. WAS FULLY COVERED IN CORALINE.. EVERYTHING WAS HAPPY..

O YEAH AND I ALWAYS DOSED HALF WHAT THE BOTTLE RECOMMENED.... BUT I GUESS EVERY TANK TAKES THINGS DIFFERENTLY..

jamesnmandy
Yes. It keeps the levels much more stable, with smaller doses.

I had to add a ton of kent to keep it stable like 25 ml a day! I only use 18 ml a day of esv. Not a big difference for each dose, but the ESV lasts considerably longer.

i used the nano ab, it was okay, not terrible, it worked, but went through it really quick like you said, then i got bottles of Tech CB ab and it worked better, but pretty much the same, in my 75 gal established system i had to dose about 15cc's of each every day or two to maintain proper levels

i recently bought two 2 liter bottles of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code ab and it is working really well, it's stronger than the Tech CB, i dose 10cc's of each each day in my 75 and you can get it from fishtanksdirect.com for $12 per 2 liter bottle, $32 shipped to my door for about 3 months worth of supplements and my levels are better than they have ever been, 440-460 CA and 9-10 dkH

you are dosing ESV at 18cc's a day on a 37 gal reef, i do 10cc's a day on a 75...

i also have been dosing their Replenish trace and Zooplanktos_M additives with great results

Like i said currently i dose seperatley and everything seems fine except my calcium lvls hover at 400 or so. I have to add purple up daily.....I only add 1ml though. I'm going to give the Kent AB a shot since its in stock at my LFS and i won't have to special order it.

SeeDemTails
you are dosing ESV at 18cc's a day on a 37 gal reef, i do 10cc's a day on a 75...

While your tank looks great, I have A LOT of SPS colonies, and some huge ones at that, my red cap is 10" in diameter, most people dont have anything close to that in a 37 gal tank.....They are 2 part vaccums.

If you dont have SPS in your tank, the rate at which your system consumes ca/alk will be much, much slower.

+1 for ESV's B-Ionic.

40ish ml a day in my 20L, and the tank is still stable. I have used Kent's product, and my corals complained.

Use a dosing pump or break it into multiple doses per day if you are going to go over 1ml/gallon/day. Otherwise your pH may spike. Also, check your salinity often with any 2-part. It will slowly rise over time with use.

It stinks I have used it, stay away from kent products.

ESV B-ionic is a much better product for ca/alk maintenance.

Also, dont even think about starting a 2 part until you have either API or Salifert Calcium and Alkalinity tests....Otherwise dosing is simply rulett.

I like kent products - have you have problems?

I like kent products - have you have problems?

There have been issues with consistency. I.e., reports of different bottles of the same Kent product having widely disparate concentrations. Plus, their head chemist left and went to another company, I believe. I think he went to Brightwell, but don't quote me on that.

I've always been confused by the "ml" measurements -- when I try to convert his on-line it looks like only about 1.3 ounces (2.75 tablespoons) Is this right? What confuses me especially is that I have B-Ionic and if I only use about that much for a 20G it will last forever.....why would anyone bother with the homemade 2-part solutions?

It depends heavily on how large your tank is, and how fast the inhabitants are consuming calcium/Alk. 1.3 ounces doesn't sound like much, but consider I add that much every single day. Ounces become gallons before you know it.

Regardless, most people won't end up using that much in a nano, unless they keep alot of SPS/clams.

Ok thanks -- I just wanted a sanity check, because I've always been confused by people using the homemade 2- part solutions that have nanos. It seems like B-Ionic lasts forever.

It will last a looong time in a softie tank.

Keep in mind that even a small tank with wall-to-wall stoney corals will consume many times the amount of calcium the same tank would with wall-to-wall soft corals. This is one reasons softie tanks are considered easier to maintain.

Archived