Innovative Marine Aquariums

cant find water movement post, film on top of water

Ascensive

someone mentioned they have an HOB filter, and they raised it, to help get that film on top of the water, under the water to further be filtered? i cant find the post about that. if any of you have done this, or maybe have any tips on how to take care of the problem without a surface skimmer, or physically cleaning it yourself, could you please give the knowledge?

thank you

jAy

What size HOB do you have. I have a AQ mini and I couldn't raise it enough to really do any good with surface film.

I do use a mini-jet in my 7 gal behind the rocks angled upwards. I get nice surface agitation that works pretty good.

An old freshwater trick was to take a piece of news paper and lay it on the surface and it picked up all the scum. I haven't carried this over to saltwater worried about the ink. It only takes a second so I doubt too much would leach out. Try that at your own risk though. HTH

i have a 125 penguin bio-wheel. i had the bio-wheel and filter out for a while. but the film on the top is starting to bug me. i have the filter back in thinking it would help the problem out, but it's not. so im gonna take the filter out, but put it back in when i clean it and do my little weekly disruption inside, then take it later that day. the bio-wheel may make its return, IF it clears up the surface. some of my early pictures show the top real clean, and the bio-wheel, although it makes that noise and made water spurt on the light glass, if it clears the surface, it's back on. maybe poking holes in each flap? anyone done that?

jAy

I've done the paper towels thing. It works OK, but it took a lot of paper towels to clean the surface of a 29 gallon. When I had my 12 gallon, I noticed that the film was gone after working in my tank for a while. I think it was all stuck to my arms.

well my surface water is now clearer from the bio-wheel causing more agitation to the return water. all i have to do now is glue or set a small plastic flap in front of the return water to keep the water from splattering the top of my light fixture. settles my problem.

jAy

Archived