SaltCritters.com

PC Bulb Manufacturers-Knowledgable Only

NanoJrFL

I am helping a lighting company design a 70W MH+32W PC acitnic. What are some manufacturers that produce quality real Acitinic 03 bulbs? I know of Coralife so far and have checked into Custom Sea Life but I'm not sure if they make their own bulbs. Links to websites would be appreciated. Again, only companies that MAKE the bulbs and sell to companies to be made into hoods or to be sold. NO RESELLERS!

unless you're planning on buying lots starting in the 1,000s range at least, good luck.

call panasonic and tell them you want a few bulbs see what they say. :D

CSL does not make their own bulbs. In fact I don't know if they actually manufacture anything of themselves. CSL's PC bulbs are made for them by Panasonic. Forget about getting PC bulbs suitable for aquariums from Panasonic. CSL has an exclusive contract with Panasonic. Their Velocity pumps I think are made by Laing. Forget about CSL for this.

Hellolights had someone (not Panasonic) make their actinic bulbs for them but sorry I guess that I fall into the NOT "Knowledgeable Only" category. I think generally you have to be prepared to buy 10,000 pieces or more to get a production run for yourself directly from a manufacturer.

Maybe try Philips? since they are the orginators of Actinic 03 fluorescents. Or perhaps GE? They seem to be into everything.

But these big guys might not want to deal with you or have some kind of exclusive deal or non compete deal going like in the case of Panasonic so it's quite likely you will have to try evaluating products from smaller players. I think you're going to have to a lot of leg work to find and evaluate suitable products. It's difficult to get a manufacturer that isn't already making something specialty like actinic bulbs to ramp up and sell you something. I think hellolights had to have a few test runs before they got the optimum performance from the production runs from their manufacturer, whomever they are.

You probably will need to start with industry trade publications or other B2B type lighting resources and make lots of phone calls.

http://www.lightingresource.com

Who knows maybe an anonymous person will post the easy answer and do your job for you :)

What are you doing for 70W MH? Are you going to go to Europe or Asia for those? There aren't too many choices here. Please find us all some alternate supplies of 70W MH DE HQI bulbs please. Other than BLV/Ushio and AquaMedic there doesn't seem to be many choices here. Does anyone know who makes AquaMedic's bulbs? It could even be BLV. It would be really cool if you could get someone to make true 20,000K 70W HQI bulbs that produced light optimized for aquariums.

Oh. I'm being annoying again. I'll stop now.

Hey, thanks foo, that was a lot better than adin's answer. :x X) I emailed ESU Coralife. Due to the fact Coralife has a parent company, ESU (Energy Savers Unlimited), I believe they make their own bulbs.

Thanks for the info foo! I emailed that to the president of the company I'm with. Not sure if hes planning on making 10,000 hoods though. ??? That seems like a chit load of bulbs to me. :o Anybody got some info on ESU or any other companies?

I checked out Phillips and GE, all their compact flourescents are wierd and don't even come in acitinic. Maybe that cuz nobody lights their house in acitinic. Thatd be sweet though if they did! :D And all their CF bulbs had three arcs, weird :

-Taylor

I have dealt w/ someone attempting this and they got shut down by panasonic for the reason foo gave. They ended up having a random manufacturer attempt making them at a horrible attempt and finally they just started buying bulk from CSL.

I would probably also try phillips.....it's hard nowaday to get anyone to make anything like this w/o minimum orders in the thousands.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Be VERY careful about this.

Catalina (Pet Supply Liquidator) Actinics are so dim, they are hardly visible next to Hamilton or JBJ. What went wrong? They probably had them OEM'd by some third party and a mistake was made. They are now being dumped at retail outlets and online for over half the price of others.

I feel sorry for those trying to get any "bargain".

Good luck with your endevour.

LOS

Archived