Top Shelf Aquatics

Pet Supply Liquidator - beware!!!

LOS

Stay away from Pet Supply Liquidator equipment. Ever since Bruce left and Colton started running things, well...

it all comes down to people.

In summary, the guy owes me money and royally screwed up my order. He is sooooo rude, it's almost like he's been sniffin' a little too much something or is too stressed and is over his head. Anyway...

He not only shorted me by 4 out of 7 bulbs, but he also neglected the glass covering the unit, etc. The worst thing is, excuse after excuse, he still hasn't refunded me the money he promissed when he unilaterally changed my unit from a 96 x 2 PC unit to a 65 W x 2 unit. Damned crook. He's being investigated by Paypal (note that he doesn't accept Credit Cards, where you have recourse).

Funny how he managed to get everything wrong.

As part of my order, they actually installed an extra 250MH fixture and ballast that I didn't want. WTF?

Unfortunately, that "extra" covered up a large portion of the power compacts, that I needed for actinic. Oh yeah, the 96 Watt PCs that magically changed into 65 Watt PCs, without prior approval - were the ones that were being covered up. Layer upon layer of screwups.

It was kind of funny. I went through about five or ten emails explaining EXACTLY what I wanted and at the end when I asked for an exact parts quote, he asked ME to sum it all up again. I noted that everything was written directly below, because we had been replying to eachother, but he still wanted me to re-write everything. Now, I'm too busy for this kind of goofyness, but the price was good, so I copied and pasted and he gave me a quote with component list.

He then proceeded to make a fixture that had only one part right: the fans.

I tried to be real pleasant with him and request return authorization and assurances that he would pay for shipping, but noooooooo. He still hasn't guaranteed me that he won't charge me a "restocking" fee and has strongly hinted that he's going to ding me for any scratches or anything else to the system.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how he not only shorted me on the Ushios and PCs, as well as getting the wattage wrong, but this goofball even got the color wrong. The four PCs were supposed to be 96W Actinics and he shipped me twp 65 Watt 50/50s.

UNBELIEVABLE

I was expecting a candid camera guy to pop out when he took an attitude with me about the mistakes HE made. I mean, how can someone screw up EVERYTHING except for the fans.

To be honest, I checked out the fans out of curiousity and they do work.

It would be like pre-paying for a Mercedes and getting a fishing boat, but with a Mercedes logo on the front.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just wanted you to enjoy the fruits of my learning experience with this joker.

Buyer beware. He STILL HASN'T PAID ME BACK MONEY PROMISSED DUE TO THE INITIAL MISTAKES and he wont assure me that I wont get nailed with his expensive restocking fees for HIS ERRORS.

Caveat Emptor (or something like that ) - Buyer Beware

LOS

that's really a shame. Bruce was an incredible guy. My lights (apparently one of the last ones made when Bruce was around) are awesome. I guess they are a collector's item now.

Yeah, that's what I hear. It really is too bad, but in a custom business like that, it really comes down to the people.

Hopefully, after being investigated by Paypal, they will either be shut down or forced to refund money when they say they are going to do so.

If only I had used a credit card with that !@#$%.

Oh, and if Colton disputes any of this, with his permission, I'll post the email threads and you'll laugh at how incompetent they have been. Can I do so anyway? I'll await his permission.

LOS

SeaMountain

Don't have any idea whom Colton is... But you can make public any communication you receive which is directed to you.

Then again... It is my belief you have set yourself up for a retribution slander and defamation suit by calling this dude a "crook' on a public forum. Don't believe me? Well don't laugh about it, there have been a number of cases brought forth and won over accusations such as yours. Accusations which are correct, and others which were in error.

Time and time again C-Diddy and others have said about the Vendor/Feedback forum, state your piece, state your experience and move on. Name calling, etc., can come back to bite you if you're not careful.

Now, Crak... Just where is your office? I have someone who wants to deliver YOU some papers! ;)

Sea Mountain-

Good point... I better tread lightly then, but I've got a question: What am I supposed to call someone who promisses to refund money because he shipped you something of lesser value and then refuses?

How about this, he is a croook.

Would that get me out of trouble . On a more serious note, I appreciate your advice.

Tks,

LOS

sea is right. there have been several lawsuits regarding online retailers suing posters over supposedly slanderous remarks.

besides, chris will remove the post if he feels you (or anyone else) steps over the line.

That said, if they are being investigate by paypal, and the product is no longer that good, and they cannot deliver their goods as ordered, or on time, it is only a matter of time before they are shut down.

Thanks for the advice, but wouldn't Pet Supply Liquidator have to show that they had been "slandered" by an untruth?

My first ammendment righs certainly don't restrict me from telling the truth, right?

Now, I guess they could argue that not paying someone money that they promissed makes them dishonest - not a crook - but that seems aweful thin ground for a lawsuit. Besides, I'm pretty sure my pockets are deep enough to handle any such foolishness on their part. You would honestly be surprised at just how impossibly wrong they handled my order.

The number of lights was wrong, the type of lights were wrong, the wattage of the lights were wrong, and even the spectrum of lights was wrong. The number of fixtures was wrong, the price was wrong, the contstuction was wrong... but, the fans were correct. I did receive two fans.

You've got to give them that. They got the two fans part right. Maybe he should work for the gov't. Especially, in a branch like the IRS - where people are used to being "bent over".

Not to *****, but I am stating reality here. The fact that he hasn't refunded me my money is just part of the reason I have to complain.

Cheers,

LOS

I bought three 70Watt MH bulbs. Worked fine but after being turned out they would never come back on. Some have used them since and can get them to come back on with patience. I threw in the towel after PSL posted a note on one of the threads saying they had got a bad batch of bulbs from Catalina and not to use the.

PLS said they would refund me if I sent back the bulbs. I'm waiting to hear from them. I have sent email but no reponse, it will likely be a $75 lesson. Too bad I tend to spend money on the hobby that could have been there's. Now it will go elsewhere.

yeah dude, my catalina bulb wont even light up. i asked them about it and they told me there is no guarutee on the bulb. the bulb didn't even light up in the first place, it's not like it broke or anything, so really they sent me a defective product, and refuse to replace it, and i will never do business with them again, and i advise that you guys dont either.

A little bit of bad news can go a long way. I've used PSL in the past and all went smoothly. Gotta tell ya though... I'm not sure I'd purchase again without the ability to drop a credit card chargeback on them if I was sent faulty merchandise. In business, things will happen, and a biz needs to adjust for these accordingly. As an outsoder watching this thread I would think PSL would swing by to make either amends or at least give their version of the happenstance.

From what I understand it's been a change in personnel. In a small operation, when the key guy leaves (Bruce).... well, sometimes there are "learning experiences" and sometimes all hell breaks loose. In this case, it appears to have been worse than either of those two.

Just look at the incompetence discussed here and on other boards.

Example 1:

I ordered 1 MH fixture (250W Ushio, with 2 extra bulbs) with 2 PCs (96W - Actinics, along with two extra bulbs).

I received 2 MH fixtures with a total of 4 bulbs (rather than a total of 7 - which I was billed for and paid for) and the actinics were unilaterally changed to 50/50s. "Oh, come on - it's not that big of a difference". The wattage of the 96W bulbs were changed unilaterally to 65Ws "sorry to tell you now, but the unit has already been shipped". Worst of all, and think about how stupid this is, the reflectors for the MH bulbs COVER MORE THAN HALF OF THE POWER COMPACTS. Who would build a fixture that doesn't allow the light to actually make it out? It's a complete joke. My CF bulbs spend most of their energy bouncing back to themselves. Someone must not be much of a reefer... or maybe they were smoking a little too much reefer. Either way, what a STUPID mistake. I mean, you look at it and you just have to laugh. You actually have to pull back the MH reflectors to fit the PCs underneath. You've got to laugh...

Example 2:

Person X orders a product which turns out to be faulty. Returns it, but doesn't get refunded his money. Still waiting.

Example 3: From the previous poster. Product ordered doesn't even work and no refund is offered. I believe by law, because it was a transaction done through the mail, they MUST let you return the product within X number of days. Look into it. But in any case, think about the BS here. They sell a product that doesn't work and they could care less.

And on and on and on...

It's the people that make a business work. Bruce was a fantastic and standup guy - no complaints that I've heard. When he left, sometime I guess around a month or so ago, everything it seems went to sh*t.

Would you buy from somone who wouldn't refund your money if the product didn't work? Or, who delivers something completely different than what you ordered? Or that is made in such a crappy way that its' utility is seriously diminished?

Be my guest, but please post the results, so that we can share in the collective knowledge (missery loves company) about Pet Supply Liquidators as a supplier of choice.

BTW, I've got a fixture for sale real cheap if you want it . No guarantees, though. This one is AS IS, WHERE IS.

Personally, I've never had worse service or seen such complete and total incompetence. Well.... I have been to the DMV. Consider it that kind of experience, except at the end of it, you don't actually get what you came for.

I, too, would like to hear their side of the story. There are always two sides... or in their case, maybe three or four sides, to a story.

Buyer beware.

LOS

Sea Mountain - I think you nailed it. Any business can and will have bad things happen, too many human hands in the process not too. PSL just seems to be in a rut they can't or refuse to get out of.. Personnel changes will only last so long as an excuse. From all the people here who seem to use them, hopefully they get their act back together. Lets face it, if their service improves and their prices stay low, people will go back to them.

Archived