Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Correct water parameters

DaneAP24

I tried searching this but didn't find much. I need to know what the correct water parameters are.

I know some, such as ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and salinty.

But how about Calcium, KH and phoshates?

My current parameters:

Salinity- 1.0024

PH- 7.4-7.8

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- .25

Nitrate- 30

Calcium- 430

KH- 9 or 161.1

Phosphate- .25

I know my PH is low. How do I get this up? Tank is cycling right now. 2 weeks old (almost). 20 lbs. live rock with live sand. Red Sea salt. Using RO water and aerating it for about 4 hours while mixing. What else will fix it without chemicals.

How is my KH and phosphate and how do I correct them?

The salt should bring the PH up. My PH was low while I cycled. Once all my other parameters leveled out towards the end of my cycle, my PH came up. I'm pretty new to this, but here is what I shoot for:

SG 1.025

PH 8.4

Ammonia 0

Nirite 0

Nitrate 0

I'm not sure on the others. But I would not try to using any additives to bring anything up while your cycling. Let it naturally come up. Best advice I got was not to rush anything.

Thanx for the reply. I def. don't want to use additives. I just want to know where my parameters need to be and how to correct them without additives before I start to add anything. I think I am getting towards the end of my cycle. In about 2 weeks I was hoping to add half of my clean up crew.

The salt should bring the PH up. My PH was low while I cycled. Once all my other parameters leveled out towards the end of my cycle, my PH came up. I'm pretty new to this, but here is what I shoot for:

SG 1.025

PH 8.4

Ammonia 0

Nirite 0

Nitrate 0

I'm not sure on the others. But I would not try to using any additives to bring anything up while your cycling. Let it naturally come up. Best advice I got was not to rush anything.

Wait at least until Ammonia and Nitrites are 0. I think my Nitrates were around 5-10ppm when I added my clean up crew.

syntax_error

PH 7.8 - 8.4

SG 1.021 - 1.026 (most aim for 1.025)

Ca 380 - 420

KH 7 - 12 (some feel 12 is too high, but there are people who keep KH at 12)

Phosphate 0

During your cycle testing for nitrates is enough I think. When you start seeing things like algea blooms and stuff check PH and ammonia.

Your salt mix should take care of proper Ca, PH and KH values, unless you have a lot of corals or corals that demand a lot of Ca.

MrAnderson

natural ocean water is:

1.027 SG

7-8 dKH

400-420 ppm Ca

pH 7.8-8.4 (daily diurnal cycle)

and phosphates vary locally, but ideally should be as close to zero as you can get them.

personally i keep my tanks at natural conditions. many others choose to artificially elevate Ca and carbonate because.... i have no idea why, but it is hobby convention.

Archived