Innovative Marine Aquariums

Killer Nassarius Snails

Sctn4Elk

Now you all have me worried. We have 4 nassarius snails and love the little guys because they're fun to watch. But, they are EXTREMELY fast, I can easily see one out-oozing any other critter in the tank. I'm planning on getting some sexies soon, but couldn't stand it if they were eaten by the snails!

• 5 months later...

Speaking of Killer Nassarius...

What I thought was an orgy of four snails, turned out to be three of them feeding on the fourth, which I wasn't sure was too well to begin with. I was sort of fascinated to watch the scrum of the little group, but when three of them moved on (after about 10 minutes), there was just the empty shell and slime of the fourth left behind...

:huh:

Since this I've seen our nassarius take on our pistol shrimp. Really stupid snails. Every time the shrimp picks up the snail and hurls it out of his burrow.

• 5 years later...

I thought it was me but I guess not! I bought an emerald crab on Monday and Thursday came home to see it under a nassarius snail...thought he died and the snail was eating the dead thing.bought another crab yesterday and he didn't last an hour before 2 of the snails had him. I did a search on this and I am glad I am not the only one who had it happen. I guess I am going to have to get a turbo snail to eat the algae either that or an urchin.

To all of you with Super Tongan Nassarius snails... They are voracious eaters of detritus. Mine only comes out when I feed my fish pellets. I think your snails are being underfed. Mine does climb on the glass and rock every once in a while, especially when I turkey-baste my sand bed and debris is flying everywhere. I only have one Nassarius and he gets bullied by my Blue Damsel and my Emerald. They're completely harmless, in my experience. Depending on your tank size, you could be overstocked with these snails...

I thought it was me but I guess not! I bought an emerald crab on Monday and Thursday came home to see it under a nassarius snail...thought he died and the snail was eating the dead thing.bought another crab yesterday and he didn't last an hour before 2 of the snails had him. I did a search on this and I am glad I am not the only one who had it happen. I guess I am going to have to get a turbo snail to eat the algae either that or an urchin.

Sounds like an acclimation issue. If the crab was getting eaten that quickly.

I ACCLIMATED IT FOR 2 HOURS!! Not kidding the snails were up on the rock on top of the crab! Happened twice in a week that's why I looked it up on this site. They didn't eat him I got him out of the tank before they could but he was dead.

If a crab can't get away from or fight off a snail there's something wrong.

How long has your tank been set up? What are the params? How / when are you introducing the crabs (ie, time of day, light on/off, time observed after introduction,etc).

Sure its possible you have killer snails but it really sounds like the crabs are dying then being found by the snails.

• 2 weeks later...

I just searched these snails "Super Tongan Nassarius Snail aggresion" and found this thread. I noticed 3-4 of them on my sand bed one night and found them devouring my tailspot Bleny. I figured it must have died and they were just doing their job. I had a pair of clown fish and one morning found a group of these snails, some hermits and a cleaner shrimp feasting on one of them. I bought a clown fish last Thursday to pair with the one I had left and woke up this morning unable to locate him. A bit later I noticed a group of these snails again and saw they were feasting on the clown. Tonight once again I noticed one of my two cleaner shrimp on the sand bed. I walked closer to the tank and two of the snails where on him. He was twitching a bit so I reached in to remove the snails but it was too late. My cleaner shrimp and tailspot were about 5 months old if not older. The cleaner shrimp molt every other week, give or take and both carry a clutch of eggs on their tails. I read about your emerald and am beginning to think these snails may be opportunistic feeders. My clowns at night spend that time on the sand bed. I am convinced that all of my "victims" we're alive and healthy and just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time......

I have had a few of these guys in my tank for about 9 months now and they are model citizens. There is no way they could catch a healthy fish even if it was sleeping. Ever heard the expression "moves as slow as a snail"?

Archived