Cultivated Reef

Feeding Schedule! hELP!

hirm

ok i got a 10g tank with 2 perc clowns and 1 royal gamma.. how many times per week / day should i feed them??? i feed twice a day but i think that is waht led to my old tank going super green and the substrate with all full of algae!!!! eww.. i got forzen shrimp as well as flake food so fire away! tell me what a good schedule would be

p.s i think i always feed them because they hang out a thte top of the tank when i open the lid so i thought they were hungry1!!

once a day is what i do.  i believe the general recommendations are what they can eat in 3 to 5 minutes.  

when i had my old nano i had two perculas that i fed one to two krill shrimp each a day.  they'd grab it like a drumstick.  they were fine for over a year and a half until the tank crashed because of evaporation problems.

Lunchbucket

i would say 1x/day would be fine.  remember it is a nano so you must be carefull of input vs output

Lunchbucket

NaNO ReeFiN

I feed mine just once a day in the morning when I wake up. 3 fish in a 10 gallon and your feeding twice a day...?

(Edited by NaNO ReeFiN at 1:06 pm on July 4, 2002)

you think 3 fish in a 10 gallon is alot?

my cousin has a reef tank 45 gallons 36x12x18 i think!

well anyways his tank contains 30 lbs live rock. 6 green chromis, 2 siscor tail gobys, 1 firefish goby, 1 red scooter blenny, a yellow tang about 3inches and a hippo tang about 3.5 inches. he has about 16-17 corals and an anenome all under a 2x30 watt NO lighting! i have no clue how he does it the aneome has grown double size! and he never does water changes , by the way the aneome is long tenticle. and he just recently bought a surgeon fish a unknown speices. anyways i just thought i'd let you know! he also said he could add another 5 small fish to his tank!? what are your thoughts?

Lunchbucket

jay2k2, no way a small tank could take that load for long.  either someone is pulling your leg or he is gonna have a lot of $$ down the toilet.

my advice: DON'T EVEN THINK OF TRYING IT!!!

Lunchbucket

rhinoivory

Flamin Gumnuts!!!

Thats nuts! I would advise him to get rid of some of the fish, and upgrade his lighting! He is one of the exceptionally lucky few that can keep an anemone under such lowlight!

Don

BustytheSnowMaam

Clowns are plankton feeders, so they like small amounts more frequently (I don't know about royal grammas).  I feed mine every other day, but on the day I feed, I feed a small amount twice that day- once in the morning and once in the evening.  

Coming to the top when they see you is a "conditioned" response- they associate your presence with food.  They will eat whether hungry or not.  

Tasha

For my perc and Bangaii, I feed some meaty frozen food every other day, then just a tiny pinch of flake for the perc on the days that I don't feed the frozen concoction.

I feed about once or twice a week.

I feed the whole tank squid, shrimp, clams, and scallops with some Nori and selcon.

HTH,

Toy

quiksilver5768

I feed about once every 2-3 days. I keep 3 fish in my 10 gal (2 percs, and a coral beauty) so excessive feeding is not an option. All my fish are nice and fat from me feeding every 2-3 days.. :)

I feed mine tank bred clowns once or twice a day. A tiny pinch, what they can finish in a minute.

I feed mine Hikari Marine-S

The clowns love it!

I feed very lightly once or twice a day, and sometimes miss a day.

Trying to recreate how they might feed in reality in the wild. They seems pretty happy and look healthy.

Archived