SaltCritters.com

ESV B-ionic vs C Balance vs Kent CB A&B

airangel

Buying salted from the LFS...its low in calcium.

Read that Red Sea max coral pro salt is high in calcium....would switching to this (and making my own water) do the trick or should I look into one of the two above part A&B dosing chemicals?

I'd like to have a clam in my tank and the few corals I have right now are: mushrooms, xenia, candy cane, anthelia, kenya/tree leathers, hammer, zoas, toadstool, polyps, gsp and a tiny piece of some flat brown thing (sorry have to get the ID of it).

I'm sure my corals will be fine but its the crocea clam that I'd want to get the calcium/alk up for. I'm currently not dosing anything (I do have Purple Up but haven't dosed that in ages).

I'm placing an order for a few other items and would add these products at the same time if it was advised.

Updated: Found Kent product that am interested in as well (CB A and CB B)...anyone?

I have had bad experiences with RSM Coral Pro salt, and I really wouldn't count on any salt to adequately maintain CA and Alk levels anyway, unless it was a softie only tank.

I think a 2 part additive is your best bet.

Hi Weetie

Hmm, what type of problems with the salt? I haven't purchased anything yet but was going to once I got some input. The salt I have in the house is a box of Petco's stuff.

Any clue on difference between those two brands of additives?

I've used B-Ionic and it seemed to work fine. It also seems to be what most people have had the best luck with. Haven't heard a lot about C-Balance, although it's a decent company from what I know.

When I used that salt, many corals got extremely unhappy very quickly, including some mushrooms (of all things!!!) that acted like they just wanted to die.

If you wanna come to my house you are quite welcome to the almost full bucket of it that I am too scared to use.

I've had all kinds of problems with a variety of salts. It's a long story but if you want the full version you can find it on my prop tank thread (linked in my sig) starting around pg. 28 or so of the thread.

I'm using Oceanic right now and am relatively satisfied.

I don't really think I'll ever be completely happy with any salt after my experiences of the last year.

Hey Weet

Gas too high to trek to Tn this time of the year, have you tried to Craigslist your salt? . I take your word on the unhappiness...perhaps was sudden calcium influx that pissed the shrooms off? I don't need issues, thats for sure. I've read (here) about the Ionic but hadn't seen anything on the C Balance. Guess I will go with the flow on the additive and use my Petco salt since I've got a whole box of it.

Should get my Mitey Mite ordered too while I'm spending money I don't have, lol.

i've tried both, i was unimpressed with c-balance. i vote for b-ionic.

the common diy 2-part formulae are also pretty good though if b-ionic becomes too expensive.

masterbuilder

Of the 2...B-Ionic. I will add that I have been using Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium and I really like it more than anything I have used before. It raises ALK and CA even though it doesnt make it clear in the ads. It is so easy to use too.

Check out the calculator for help in dosing whatever you choose-

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Thanks MasterBuilder & Tiny

Will add 16 0z kit of B Ionic to my order. Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it. I've only got a 24g tank so hoping the chemicals will last me a while...hoping they will do the trick

SeeDemTails

B-ionic is great......But I go through the 16 oz bottles in two months in my 37 gal....I am going to start using the 1 gal jugs.....I have a lot of SPS though.

Fishfreak218

I use the B-Ionic, and I love it.. it last quite some time for me (although I am VERY un-religious about it.. sometimes going a week or two without adding any :o )

See Dem..WOW.....I'd probably be more like Fishfreak in my dosing.

Whatever I end up ordering will be from here as this is where my next tank's coming from. They are running a June sale on the EBV 32 oz containers.

I can say tech cb is no good. It did not change anything for me.

I'd say first switch salt, have a good base first, then dose as needed.

I bought a few brands to test, and found that

Red Sea Coral Pro has high Ca (400-420), but the alk is very low,like 6.

Reef Crystal is not much better than plain old instant ocean, just slightly higher Ca (around 350), alk is fine.

Crystal Sea Marine mix is the same as instant ocean, 320 ca, alk is fine.

Oceanic is where I got the best results, 500 ca and alk is fine.

Your result may be different, as my test result is slightly different than one published in reefcentral.

whatever salt you pick, just monitor and maybe you don't need to dose, if you do, just dose what is needed.

Thanks d0ugh

Am currently buying my salted water so not sure what my Petco stuff would come out to on Ca++/Alk. I thought I saw some stats on salt and will go recheck to see. Found EBV B ionic on sale from place I'm going to get my next tank from so will get that to have in the house.

Fishfreak218

I wish I could get my hands on a LiterMeterIII.... my tank would be so much more stable and life would be so much easier.... :drool:

Thanks for the thread Ellen! I have wondered this with my new tank. Sounds like Bi-onic is the way to go.

LOL Matt, so you're happy with the T Shirt then huh? And yer still using the two part dosing... Wondering about using something specifically for "reef"

No I dont dose anything now! I am going to and was wondering the same as you.....Which one is best!

I'll give you one more option to think about..... How about a 3 part system? I've been using DT's Pure Reef Elements, Calcium, Alkaline, and Magnesium. I buy my salt water pre-mixed from my LFS. They use Tropic Marin and they admit it's low on Calcium. I've been using the 3 part system for about 4 months and the corals love it as well as the clam. The clam has been showing good growth. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.dtplankton.com/pure.html

And if you want to check it out they also have a dosing calculator. Here is a link to it:

http://www.dtplankton.com/dosing_calc.html

Hey Basser

thanks (for yet another option, lol). My LFS uses I have no clue salt mix but its low and as much as I don't want to deal with dosing I am thinking its something I must do if my water is going to start low and just go lower. Where do you get this 3 part stuff? Its not sold where I'm working on my order and I didn't see it at the good Doctors site either.

Do you have a tank link (or what kinda tank and clam do yo have)?

Thanks

Hey Basser

thanks (for yet another option, lol). My LFS uses I have no clue salt mix but its low and as much as I don't want to deal with dosing I am thinking its something I must do if my water is going to start low and just go lower. Where do you get this 3 part stuff? Its not sold where I'm working on my order and I didn't see it at the good Doctors site either.

Do you have a tank link (or what kinda tank and clam do yo have)?

Thanks

Yep, I sure do have a tank thread! Just check out the home page! ;)

I'm happy to say there is a source to buy this on-line. Even happier to say they are a N-R sponsor, Saltycritter!

Here's a link:

http://www.saltycritter.com/additives/dts-...f-additives.htm

Basser

DUH, that gorgeous piece of work is yours, sigh, yes checked it out when Chris posted it. Congrats and sorry I spaced the connection between you and the honored tank of the month. Brainfart on my part.

Thanks for the link....going to check out our sponsor and again your tank's page......*kicks self in butt*

SeeDemTails

Essentially most all "2 part" systems should have a MG part as well. Ca, Alk, and MG are all connected in the system, thats why it is easiest to maintain them all together.

I have found that using tropic marin, and b-ionic to maintain, I dont even need to add MG to my system, it stays around 1500ppm. I have a whole bottle of ESV MG that I havent even cracked.

I am not sure if its the weekly 10% TM water changes, or the b-ionic that is keeping my MG that high, but it seems to be working very well.

Still looking around...be nice if I can get everything I need from one place....hate to pay sep. shipping for 2 or 3 bottles. Seems prices for all the mentioned brands are compatible, now to do research amongst them all so I can get my order in someplace on Monday.

Archived