Innovative Marine Aquariums

algae, quarrantine, and general info

LadyClown

Hi everyone, I'm new :)

I've been trying to keep a 29 gal minireef, but since I don' have enough time or dinero for it, I downsized to a 10 gal. I set up the new tank with the gravel and some of the rocks from my old tank, let it sit for about 10 days, then I added my two little clowfish (I was gonna sell the whole thing and first, but I guess I couldn't part with them).

Then after another 20 days I bought a big snail (turdo snail they said, the foot is about 1 inch and 1/2, and an emeral crab.

My tank is the walmart tank with the fluorescent lighting, ad I'm already planning to get SeaGel for filtration (I was using the on frovided in the box)

My questions are:

1) altough I have been reducing the lighting drastically, (they're getting 8 hours now, I still have green algae growth (the problem I had with the other tank) Should I get more snails? I wouldn't want to starve the grab or the snail I already have.

2) I bought a little damselfish that I will be adding to the aquarium soon. It's in my old tank in quarranting right now, and seems to be doing fine. How lonk should I wait before adding it to the tank? is 1 week too short of a period?

3) lighting question again. The aquarium gets indirect lighting anyway from the room it's in, and since I'm in class most of the day, I only enjoy it at night. how do I set it up so that I can still enjoy it with lighting but so I don't have eccessive lighting? (btw, my ligt has a times so it starts/finishes and the same time every day)

TNX a bunch :)

LadyClown

IMO, a turbo that size should be enough for a 10. a little green algae is good in the beginning. keep your calcium levels high and coralline should start popping up.

What kind of Damsel did you get? they can get really nasty especially in smaller tanks.....they need a lot of personal space. 3 fish might be a lot too. i am afraid you'll spend more time protecting your clowns from being chased or nipped than being able to watch your tank peacefully.

My tank gets 14 hours of light. Sometimes nat. light can cause algae growth because its light spectrum is more conducive to microalgae. if you suspect this might be a prob you can blindfold your tank till you get home. i like to enjoy my tank later in the night too. my babies go to bed at 12:30am.....little brats.

<<< no wonder they drive me nuts!!!

I got a yellow tail damsel. I hope she doesn't bug my babies, otherwise she's out out out :P

uhm... for the calcium levels: how do I keep them high? With an additive? and how do I test it? I've had my live rock for 6 months now (in the old tank) and nothing ever sprouted.. not extra animals, either :( how come?

until you have lots of corals...the calcium in your sw might be sufficient. i use kalkwasser....and i just keep dripping it until my pH hits 8.3-8.4. this might be considered herressy....cause i do not test for it. my calcium levels could be at 700 for all i know....but everything looks fine.

do you have pink/purple calcerous algae on your lr? ...all live rock is different

the little red flecks look like what is the beginning of coralline algae. all that you need for the lr is the bacteria.....not necessarily hitchhikers. some hitchhikers you might not notice till a month or so down the road. after 2 months, all sorts of stuff started popping up on my rock(halmidea, apstacia, cucumbers, mini featherdusters, mini mushrooms)...no worries....my rock looked just like yours when i started

Archived