Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

URGENT: How much current?

peppermint22

peppermint22

I'm using a single powerhead in my 27 gallon aquarium. The powerhead's label says "500L/H". Does it mean 500 litres per hour? Is the current generated too strong? REALLY NEED SOME HELP HERE!

yes, it's most likely 500 liters per hour--there are 3.8L in a gallon, so that's roughly 131.5 gallons per hours. I think a general rule of thumb is to have a flow/circulation per hour that is 10X the volume of the tank--so most would say that you need another one of those powerheads...but opinions vary.

Another ONE? lol Oy vey...flow..like anything else..depends on what you keep. If you've got any SPS..thats nowhere near enough flow...think 50X system volume turnover in an hour. For LPS and softies..you may be able to push it down to 20X system volume..but I've found most of mine to not mind a bit more flow. I've got 5 powerheads plus a skimmer on my 29...and thats barely enough flow in my opinion. (Most of the PH's are around 300 gph) I'm turning my tank over at about 1800gph total..of course not all from one source. One powerhead on a 27gal tank isn't going to hack it...go out and invest in several more.

HTH...

SeaMountain

My 10g setup currently has a MicroJet 320 pumping at 73gph and an AquaClear 201 pumping 110gph. The AC replaced a second MicroJet - which went to the SW mix tub.

The higher volume is appreciated by my torch coral, but the ricordea seems to be s-l-i-d-i-n-g it's way around the corner to get out of the flow a bit. :D

Oh well... Can't please'em all.

peppermint22

I'm just planning to keep a FOWLR aquarium. So, do I really need such a strong current 'coz it's like the feather-dusters on the live rock are really getting a blast.

peppermint22

Right now I only have 1 powerhead pumping 500L/H in my 27G. I really dunno about the 10X turnover rate. My 4-Striped Humbug seems to be getting pushed by the current; it's like the current is too strong for it!

Archived