Coral Vue Hydros

Can you cycle without a heater or lights?

swordfish

Can you cycle a tank without a heater? I managed to get a great deal on some LR which I am getting this weekend for use in my new ten gallon tank (already have a 7 bow established) but I was planning on getting a heater first. Looks like it didn't work out that way though. The lights and the rest of the necessary stuff are either on the way or I can get by without it for right now. I have an HOB filter to keep the water moving until I get a PH soon. But the tank will be unheated for about two weeks.

So........will the cycling take place and the LR be okay without a heater? The ambient temp in the room will not get below 73 deg.

Jeff

while I never cycled a tank with lighting (always had lights on order or didn't want to see the cloudy mess in the tank), it doesn't hurt as it will allow the photosynthetic animals to live.

the heater is not a necessity either but maintaining a steady temp is always better than having a fluctuating temp.

if you're cycling really fresh LR (i.e. loaded with fauna/flora) i would cycle with appropriate lighting, temp, filtration, wc's, etc. this is in the hope to mitigate the die-off of the more diverse fauna that are more delicate.

if the rock you're cycling is relatively dead/barren then you can 'rough' it imo. in fact, i've been cycling different rock lots in a covered bucket for much of this year.

So what is the room temp high?

If there is going to be some die off on the rock, then the cooler water temperature will preserve the dead stuff.

Thanks,

The guy in my LFS said, Aye, this live Bio Active sand would be enough to get my cycling started..I have had it running a week today,

I guess i will have to start again..with the prawn method... GRRR

Thanks

Itzgana

Archived