SaltCritters.com

Sponge

Ledford

I got a piece of LR from the LFS a few days ago and when the lady was taking it out of the tank she hit a sponge that stands about 2in high (red in color haven't looked to see what it wxactly is yet) on the trim of their tank now the red color seems to have come of where she hit it and it is actually transparent in this spot. Is this need for concern the rest of it seems to be doing quite well.

Sponges are not very hardy according to my experiences.  I've had red sponges before but one time my goby took a small bite out of one of them and the thing was dead in less than 3 days.  When it turns white or transparent it's a good sign that it's stressing out.  

• 4 weeks later...

Im sure its probaly too late, but GET THAT THING OUT ! it will toxo the tank.. I had an orange ball sponge go neuclear on me before...can you say .... BUY BUY to a bucket of salt for waterchanges..... it is similar to sea apples too and some species of Nudibranchs or sea hares.

If she took it out of the tank and it was exposed to air, it probably got air bubbles in it, which is often fatal to sponges.  I'd be more concerned about that.  Watch it closely and be ready to take it off so it doesn't decompose in your tank.

• 1 month later...

Archived