ReefCleaners.org

Fragging Mushrooms

el_dante

Ok, I did some GARF and thread reading and the methods that I've gotten so far seem to be incompatible with my time frame. I am supposed to meet someone today for a fish/coral trade, and I need to frag my red shrooms ASAP. Ideally, I want to take a few full shrooms off the rock and give them to him like that rather than slicing and dicing and giving him quarters and such. Is this possible, and what is the best method to do so? I’ve never fragged anything before, so I am a bit scared that I’ll just destroy them.

Thanks

Either cut the heads off and give to the person loose, or take a knife, flathead screw driver and chisel the rock that the mushroom is on off.

I remember seeing you post at manhattan reef, you picking up a goby from Simon correct? What type of red, plain, or do they have blue spots?

The chisel idea sounds like that will work. I'd hate to cut them, damage them, and give him something that will die later on. I'll try that out. If that doesn't work, and I go the cutting head route, they'll grew new stalks?

They are mostly red, but I believe some have spots. Yeah, they are going to Simon.

I'm constantly cutting the heads off my reds and cutting those heads into fours. The stalk will grow new head, and the cuttings become new shrooms!

Heuerfran, I took the safe route (rock chipping) and if worked out very well. Technically, I'm still a frag virgin, but at least Simon will get some nice shrooms. Thanks a lot for your help.

• 3 years later...

great post... i'm new to reefing and wanted to add some mushrooms but there's no space in my tank for the rocks at my lfs. I'm really cool with my lfs so I know they would let me just cut off some of the mushrooms.

what kind of glue should i use for attaching the mushrooms. also, i know they dont like too much light. but how much water current should there be?

• 4 weeks later...
mahi mahi boy

That sucks. I cut one of my big purple Discosoma sp shrooms a couple weeks ago. When I cut it, I cut much smaller than I wanted too, like not even 1% of the shroom(my first time). The frag curled up, became solid and I think it's developing a mouth now.

I have some watermellon greens that will regrow in no time and reproduce naturally like it's going out of style.

I have some bright orange shrooms that DO NOT like being fragged at all.

Archived